• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old stamps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old stamps

Sorry to stereotype you all, but do any of you know much about the value of old stamps? How much does the value change from mint to franked?

We've just inherited an old German stamp album which has spaces for every stamp in the world made between 1840 and 1890. It doesn't have more than 1/5 of the stamps in there, and some of them don't appear to be in great condition.

I've done a bit of Googling and this one looks interesting (scanned image below). It looks like one went for £17K at auction . I can't tell if it really is the same or not but it does look like it is.

Is this the kind of thing to take along to the local stamp shop or should I just go straight to an auctioneer?

There is also what looks to me like a penny black but it's it pretty poor condition:

Google suggests Stanley Gibbons as the authority on these things, but If I can I'd rather avoid a trip to London.

I'd just google "Philately" and find the geekiest looking forum.

Look for a user called MarillionFrank or StampGuru for the best advice. Avoid stampyou01 as he just likes to lick the back of them really.

Comment

My old mum was asking a while back. She has loads of penny reds and some stamped penny blacks.

If you look at the net the differences in price are huge. I told her to put them away as they were worthless(I stand to inherit them )
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        My old mum was asking a while back. She has loads of penny reds and some stamped penny blacks.

If you look at the net the differences in price are huge. I told her to put them away as they were worthless(I stand to inherit them )
        All that AND her collection of musical soup ladles. Boy oh boy, one day you are gonna be minted MF!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          I'd just google "Philately" and find the geekiest looking forum.

Look for a user called MarillionFrank or StampGuru for the best advice. Avoid stampyou01 as he just likes to lick the back of them really.

Comment

Working...
          X