• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor?

I ask this as I find the biggest mental hurdle for me contracting is the views/comments of my family and friends through I think just not fully understanding contracting.

Its almost like they think this is just a temporary mad phase I'm going through and I will soon see sense and go back to a 'proper job'. I quit my permie job to go contracting and I got my first contract and got told "well they might offer you permanent which would be good to take".

I've had comments about 'not getting paid while off' even after saying well I get paid more contracting to cover for those times and have savings purposely built up to cover also, I get 'well thats a good job you do given you don't get paid when off!' in a sarcastic tone.

My other half earns a good wage as a permie and certain tones/comments makes me believe they are thinking I'm now having this great time working as a 'temp' and my other half is now having to cover me. I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

Anyone else has experience of this? I know I should not care what other people think but sometimes it drives me mad feeling I have to keep justifying my reasons/choices to go contracting.

Originally posted by robin View Post
    I ask this as I find the biggest mental hurdle for me contracting is the views/comments of my family and friends through I think just not fully understanding contracting.

Its almost like they think this is just a temporary mad phase I'm going through and I will soon see sense and go back to a 'proper job'. I quit my permie job to go contracting and I got my first contract and got told "well they might offer you permanent which would be good to take".

I've had comments about 'not getting paid while off' even after saying well I get paid more contracting to cover for those times and have savings purposely built up to cover also, I get 'well thats a good job you do given you don't get paid when off!' in a sarcastic tone.

My other half earns a good wage as a permie and certain tones/comments makes me believe they are thinking I'm now having this great time working as a 'temp' and my other half is now having to cover me. I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

Anyone else has experience of this? I know I should not care what other people think but sometimes it drives me mad feeling I have to keep justifying my reasons/choices to go contracting.
    As long as you and your partner are happy, don't let it bother you. But if it does, leave some business bank account statements around. They won't understand the need to pay VAT and other taxes so they'll think you're raking it in.

Comment

Get friends who are less concerned with judging you?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well if you're not earning at least a 6 figure sum each year, you're a loser.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Well if you're not earning at least a 6 figure sum each year, you're a loser.
          But you only earn six figures because you count the first two places after the decimal point.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Well if you're not earning at least a 6 figure sum each month from each of your contracts, you're a loser.
            MF.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              But you only earn six figures because you count the first two places after the decimal point.

There's a reason why you're poor.
              Its because you're thick.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
                I'm not very specialized so not earning mega dosh like some people on these boards but still earning more than when I was permie.

What is your career plan?
                How are you going to climb the next rung of the contracting ladder?
                Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
                How are you going to Bob prof your skill set?

These questions are not just for permies, if you don't think about them now in a few years time you will be on the bench.

Maybe it's you, who do just not fully understanding contracting.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Dobbin,

you don't half ask some silly questions

Milan.

Comment

Never explain anything to anyone about anything.

Breaching Official Secrets Act.

Bing!

Comment

Working...
                    X