• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in Poundland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in Poundland

It is my human right not to work for Poundland: Graduate who faced losing benefit sues ministers

1) Cait Reilly has been looking for work since graduating in the summer
    2) She volunteered at a museum until ordered to accept two-week placement
    3) Her lawyer says the 'forced labour' breaches her human rights

Miss Reilly is now taking landmark legal action against the Government after being told she risked losing her £53.45-a-week Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) payment if she turned down the two-week unpaid work experience stint at Poundland.

Lawyers for the graduate are seeking a judicial review into Department for Work and Pensions rules that compel unemployed people to take unpaid work.

They say the scheme, part of the Coalition’s Work Programme to break the cycle of benefit dependency, amounts to ‘forced labour’ and is against the Human Rights Act.

The Government programme aims to help around 250,000 young people over the next two years through training and unpaid work experience in the public, private and charity sectors. Placement providers include chains such as Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Argos and Asda.

Source: Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in Poundland | Mail Online

Legal aid FTW.

No doubt dodgy is seething about this and planning to phone his MP in the morning to demand some slaves of his own.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      No doubt dodgy is seething about this and planning to phone his MP in the morning to demand some slaves of his own.
      Already on it.. 10 polish graduate CVs in there already

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Already on it.. 10 polish graduate CVs in there already
        You've learnt to speak Polish now tovarisch?

Comment

Presumably I could offer one of those comp sci graddies that can't get a job a few weeks unpaid experience as my lacky and get them to do all the tedious tulip I don't like.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If she wasn't a complete moose, she could turn tricks and/or be a high class hooker for hundreds a night. Life just isn't fair.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              If she wasn't a complete moose, she could turn tricks and/or be a high class hooker for hundreds a night. Life just isn't fair.
              She could always get a job frightening rats I suppose. Never seen anyone that ugly with only one head before.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                She could always get a job frightening rats I suppose. Never seen anyone that ugly with only one head before.

Having said which she could marry AtW, provided she signed a pre-nup
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Having said which she could marry AtW, provided she signed a pre-nup
                  No frivolous lawsuits and being able to have a good job are also requirements so I'll pass on this one.

HTH

Comment

And her hair. She is obviously a big fan of Gary Oldman in the Fifth Element.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X