• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting my career in IT. Need guidance as their is so many possibilities!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off im 21 years old with no work experience for IT in a working environment, i do however have a couple of basic certifications (MCDST & A+) which really is not enough to get you into anything apart from maybe an apprenticeship. Also I got these nearly 2 years ago now so I really need to take the next step in my career.

I am considering having the next few months of intensive training which will consist of courses, reading through books, getting as many certifications (maybe even volutary work) etc untill I have all the knowledge to get on the ladder! I may even get a loan if i dont have the funds available as i am aware some are quite expensive.

So basically i am asking the question of where do i start? What path should i take? What are the main shortages of out there at the moment? Or certs that an employer is going to see and say wow. I understand, experience is key. And employers may overlook all these shiny certs right? I am really clueless in most aspects to the IT industry at the moment to be honest but i just want to have the best possible start.

Im thinking of aiming towards maybe as a software engineer?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave

Ps im writing this on an iphone so rushed all the grammar etc

On the sysadmin side, look into devops and associated tools such as chef & puppet.

Get an account on Amazon and have a play with EC2, configuring some instances.

Devops & cloud management will be a huge growth area.

General Java/.NET CRUD development will probably continue to come under pressure for outsourcing, offshoring, SAAS etc and get more and more competitive so I'd steer clear of that.

Dig into JavaScript and HMTL5 and take a look at client side Backbone.js for a niche within development which I think will do well.
    Last edited by Kanye; 28 April 2012, 11:56.

Comment

Are you based in Bournemouth? I think there was a recent Job Advertised which would be perfect for you
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You talk about experience - correct you need it. You also need the right attitude. Depending on what you're expecting there are plenty of small companies willing to take people on and show them the ropes. They won't pay much, but the opportunities are there.

If for example you were to outline in more detail what you were looking for then you never know maybe someone on here would have an opportunity.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I was in a similar situation as yours when i started out. I had a degree in computer Science but no experience and no employer would look at anyone without decent experience. I was looking for a software Engineer roles and in the end decided to do 8 months unpaid work just to get the commercial experience i needed on my CV. I would say in my experience don't spend loads of money on courses to get certificates. I got a couple of VB.net book spent about 2 months reading through them for 5 hours every day, and not moving on until i understood everything. I then fired off about 100 Cv's to local companies basically saying i will work for free if they use VB.Net.

Most of my friends thought i was mad to work for nothing however i got some work stayed for about 8 months, got the vital experience and reference i needed, then got a paid job as a software engineer off the back off that experience. It wasn't an easy time doing unpaid work a lot comes down to your attitude and how much do you really want it.

Don't give up though - oh and i am now on about 3 times as much money now as those mates who thought it was crazy...good luck

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
            I'm 21 years old with no work experience for IT
            Perfect for management or, failing that, recruitment.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Hi,
              what others have said get into a small- medium company and show willing to move into a very junior IT position, and then pick up on the tools and start teaching yourself.

Comment

Why would anyone *want* a "career" in IT? BTW you will never get a GF either...just sayin, its like insect repellent.

<Mod note: Not appropriate for professional forums>

Comment

Originally posted by CodeCobbler View Post
                  Why would anyone *want* a "career" in IT? BTW you will never get a GF either...just sayin, its like insect repellent.
                  Funny that. I have had quite a rock and roll lifestyle in IT, and as many guys my age will tell you GF's are not that great as they tend to grow into wives that have kids and all spend tonnes of cash...

Comment

Not so nowadays old chap as many workings is now outsourced overseas and a bob invasion is underway. I’d look into ‘future-proof’ careers, e.g. aircon units, water purifiers, green energy and counselling.

HTH

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X