• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any relationship between applying for British citizenship & IR35 investigation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any relationship between applying for British citizenship & IR35 investigation?

Hi,

Reading through the official forms to apply for British Citizenship and I got to a section where they say:

"Among the duties and obligations which you are expected to fulfil, is payment of income
    tax and National Insurance contributions. We may ask H.M. Revenue & Customs for
    confirmation that your tax and National Insurance affairs are in order. When you sign the
    application form you will be giving your consent for us to approach them.

3.1 – 3.5. If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have
    discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self
    Assessment Statement of Account"
    "In this section you need to give information which will help the Home Secretary to decide whether he can be
    satisfied that you are of good character. Checks will be made with the police and possibly other Government
    Departments, the Security Service and other agencies.

3.1 What is your occupation?
    3.2  Are you An employee? A business partner? Self-employed? A director?
    3.3 Name of employer or business
    3.4 Address of employer or business
    3.5 Address of tax office or tax office reference

"
    I've been paying some PAYE/NI each year (a few thousands above the tax free allowance) as part of my salary and then dividends, so I was wondering if this cross-reference between Home Office and HMRC could trigger and IR35 investigation?

Any idea about the subject or any contractor that has successfully applied for some clues about whether or not it's worth the risk?

Originally posted by mickael28 View Post
    I've been paying some PAYE/NI each year (a few thousands above the tax free allowance) as part of my salary and then dividends, so I was wondering if this cross-reference between Home Office and HMRC could trigger and IR35 investigation?

Any idea about the subject or any contractor that has successfully applied for some clues about whether or not it's worth the risk?
    Well I guess you can never say the risk is zero, but in this case it must be pretty close to zero. I have never heard of an IR35 investigation being triggered by an application for British citizenship. So long as you have been paying all NIC and PAYE due on your salary, then I suspect the Home Office will have no issues. Numerous clients of ours have been through the Visa extension/Indefinite leave to remain/Citizenship process, and the issue you bring to light here has never been raised by the Home Office (or by the HMRC is responding to requests for information from the Home Office).
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
      Numerous clients of ours have been through the Visa extension/Indefinite leave to remain/Citizenship process, and the issue you bring to light here has never been raised by the Home Office (or by the HMRC is responding to requests for information from the Home Office).
      That's what I was not aware, if there had been more contractors applying for this and being troubled by HMRC as part of the process.

Many thanks...

Comment

Instead of all this worrying and insurance etc do you not think some of these will be more help???

http://forums.contractoruk.com/light...ml#post1548669
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hmmm... I don't quite get it. Let's hope they don't ask any question about British humour in the citizenship test

Comment

Originally posted by mickael28 View Post
            Hmmm... I don't quite get it. Let's hope they don't ask any question about British humour in the citizenship test
            It was a hint that might want to toughen up a little. Your posts about this and the IR35 are, erm, lets say erring on the side of caution a little(!). I would hate to see your risk assesment of crossing the road if these worry you this much
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ah, I get it now...heheheheh.

I have been quite the opposite, up until now, it's just that now there are a few things going on at the same time and I don't understand the implications of everything just yet. But I'm learning a lot with you guys, thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X