• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello from a newbie!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from a newbie!

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this so please be gentle

I've always been in employed work, until I was made redundant earlier this year. I've now been offered a contracting position, but there seems to be so much conflicting information out on the web.

I have a meeting next week with the agency and they want to know at that point if I want to use an umbrella company or my own Ltd Co......

Apparently the contract is "IR35 friendly" and so I gather that the Ltd Co is the most tax efficient option - can anyone confirm this, please?

Also, I understand I would draw a minimum salary (to the tax bracket only) and take the rest as dividends - can one draw dividends on a monthly basis? Or does it have to be the end of the year - in which case I couldn't afford to take this option as I need to meet monthly outgoings. Also I need to pay tax on the dividends I understand....????

And finally (for now) I will obviously pay Corporation tax on the profits of the business - can I claim the cost of the train travel to London each day as a business expense?

If anyone can help me out, or point me in the direction of a factually accurate and layman's term guide to all of this, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks

Originally posted by Smartie Driver View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've always been in employed work, until I was made redundant earlier this year. I've now been offered a contracting position, but there seems to be so much conflicting information out on the web.

I have a meeting next week with the agency and they want to know ause t that point if I want to an umbrella company or my own Ltd Co......

Apparently the contract is "IR35 friendly" and so I gather that the Ltd Co is the most tax efficient option - can anyone confirm this, please?

Also, I understand I would draw a minimum salary (to the tax bracket only) and take the rest as dividends - can one draw dividends on a monthly basis? Or does it have to be the end of the year - in which case I couldn't afford to take this option as I need to meet monthly outgoings. Also I need to pay tax on the dividends I understand....????

And finally (for now) I will obviously pay Corporation tax on the profits of the business - can I claim the cost of the train travel to London each day as a business expense?

If anyone can help me out, or point me in the direction of a factually accurate and layman's term guide to all of this, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks
    dividends can be paid daily weekly monthly yearly, as long as the money is there to pay out

travel is a business expense and can be claimed

Comment

Many thanks
      Eyes left: First timers

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        Eyes left: First timers
        Erm... eyes left????
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Erm... eyes left????
          Depends which way you're facing...

@OP - Two guides to read, the one somewhere on this page and the Guide to Freelancing at www.pcg.org.uk. You have no idea how much you don't know, so have a good study of both, then ask questions.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have a meeting next week with the agency and they want to know at that point if I want to use an umbrella company or my own Ltd Co......

Many thanks
            Hi Smartie

A very warm welcome - I hope you will be very happy here.

Assuming you intend to contract for more than a few months than ltd is the way to go.

Don't take divs too frequently - the most I have ever risked is 5 a year. Too many and it looks like salary. Though techincally you can pay a div every day.

You can claim travel.

Be wary before venturing into general - its not a nice place there. The only sign of cricket will be when someone clouts you over the back of the head with a bat.

Very best of luck and let us know how you get on.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Be wary before venturing into general - its not a nice place there. The only sign of cricket will be when someone clouts you over the back of the head with a bat.

BP
              Apparently Radiator men and Gladiators live there too.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                Apparently Radiator men and Gladiators live there too.
                Very true. Best to hide behind the sofa.

General is an evil cess pit that would turn a priest into a swearing abusing insulting rabid troll. Everyone pretends to be some sort of Jack Reacher wheras they are more like a jack in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Very true. Best to hide behind the sofa.

General is an evil cess pit that would turn a priest into a swearing abusing insulting rabid troll. Everyone pretends to be some sort of Jack Reacher wheras they are more like a jack in the box.
                  I wont bother going there then.

Comment

Working...
                  X