• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OT - Fibromyalgia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT - Fibromyalgia

After a few months being ill, it now appears that wife is going to be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (waiting confirmation of last test).

To be fair, she has struggled a bit lately. Even has trouble getting up and down the stairs and looking after a small baby has been tough for her.

It also affects the contracts I can take. Swanning off monday-friday just aint gonna fly. Got 'some' help from family but its limited unfortunately.

Looks like her plan to return to her job as a nurse in June is under threat too. Long way from being unable to walk upstairs properly to functioning as a nurse shall we say. So dont know how thats gonna work out.

Hey ho - makes you think when someone in the family gets ill.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Has she had her thyroid checked? The two often go together.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I think you are going to have to move either nearer support or nearer the work....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Perhaps you should ditch contracting and go perm as at least it would be less in the way of pressure and you could get something close to home, at the end of the day family comes first mate.

You could go back in a few years time as you know what it's like trying to find decent commutable contracts where we live.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Has she had her thyroid checked? The two often go together.
          Dunno. Consultant is running last few tests to confirm at mo.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Perhaps you should ditch contracting and go perm as at least it would be less in the way of pressure and you could get something close to home, at the end of the day family comes first mate.

You could go back in a few years time as you know what it's like trying to find decent commutable contracts where we live.
            Yeh. You're right.

Working away is deffo out of the question now. Still hopeful that I can get something commutable. Going perm really is last resort.

Current gig even though is really crap rate is still probably better income than even the best permie job I could hope to get locally.

Of course, decent gig would mean I could maybe pay for care/cleaners/nannies or whatever. And intend to look into what sort of thing she could get if she had to give up work.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Yeh. You're right.

Working away is deffo out of the question now. Still hopeful that I can get something commutable. Going perm really is last resort.

Current gig even though is really crap rate is still probably better income than even the best permie job I could hope to get locally.

Of course, decent gig would mean I could maybe pay for care/cleaners/nannies or whatever. And intend to look into what sort of thing she could get if she had to give up work.
              Fair one, I was still a permie when my daughter was born so I was able to make the most of my time with her when she was little. You should make the most of it while you can as they grow up really quickly hence I didn't consider going contracting till she was older.

Money can buy a lot of things, but it can never buy the time you've missed.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Sorry to hear that :-(
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Fair one, I was still a permie when my daughter was born so I was able to make the most of my time with her when she was little. You should make the most of it while you can as they grow up really quickly hence I didn't consider going contracting till she was older.

Money can buy a lot of things, but it can never buy the time you've missed.
                  True mate. Which is why I was never keen on the mon-fri thing even if mrs was in perfect health.

At the mo its ok though. I'm up at the crack (before 6) and on the train by 7, on site at 8. Means then I leave early and in the house at 5-30 so not too bad.

Bit tiring but it means I get to see the kids inc baby for few hours every night.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Sorry to hear that. I think you are going to have to move either nearer support or nearer the work....
                    This

Or this

Have a (manly)
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X