• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping ship from the world of permanence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping ship from the world of permanence

Hi forum. Another newbie here - jumping ship from the world of permanent jobs after being made redundant and looking to try something new - well, let's be honest - seeing if I can earn a bit more money while there's change in the air.

Been having a good read recently and picked up a lot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - here goes!
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Best of luck, and welcome
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Good luck - I did the same thing in March. I spent months reading and thinking, but so far it's working out to be one of the best moves I've ever made. To be honest, even if I went permie again in July*, it would have been worth it to pay off the credit card

*Not happening if I can help it!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Good luck - I did the same thing in March. I spent months reading and thinking, but so far it's working out to be one of the best moves I've ever made. To be honest, even if I went permie again in July*, it would have been worth it to pay off the credit card

*Not happening if I can help it!
        Thanks. I have two conflicting schools of thought at the moment... the risk manager in me is tulip scared that for some reason I won't know what to do when I start the job and/or will fail badly in some way.

The realist in me thinks back to all those other times doing perm work that I seemed to eventually be able to cope with any problem that came my way and wondered how some very thick people ended up being my peers

Wondering which of these two outcomes will be the real one... is there an expectation that when you're on a day rate you're infallible?
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          is there an expectation that when you're on a day rate you're infallible?
          There's an expectation that you'll hit the ground running, and be solidly capable of doing what the role requires.

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
            There's an expectation that you'll hit the ground running, and be solidly capable of doing what the role requires.
            Should I quit then? Or are you the guy who writes all the role descriptions I see online
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
              Whilst this was always my expectation of what a contractor should be (back in my permie days), the reality was often quite the opposite and was one of the key reasons why I decided to give up permiedom.

Running a team of several contractors as a much lower-paid permie and having do a lot of their work for them, does get very annoying before too long.

Comment

Working...
              X