• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway speeds: Get used to driving at 40mph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway speeds: Get used to driving at 40mph

Motorway speeds: Get used to driving at 40mph, says top highways official - Telegraph

This is partly a result of privatising the railways IMO. The private companies shut or cut back frequency on many routes in the midlands so it's all but impossible to commute by train from outlying areas.

It was exactly this situation (commuting in the midlands) that finally prompted me to learn to drive. I couldn't have taken the job otherwise.

We need an integrated & well thought out transport policy, not just more spending on roads. Instead we get what I suspect is a purely ideological decision

The Government has committed to transforming the agency into a publicly owned corporation by next year.
    how is that going to help? They are going to need a new agency to oversee the public corporation anyway, so either it's just going to cost more overall or they plan on giving the corporation less money to spend on actually making it work. Stupid ****ers.
    Last edited by doodab; 14 May 2014, 07:01.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

this is such a non story

The maximum speed of a motorway is 70mph

Nowhere has anyone said that this will be the expected speed you can travel on a motorway all the time....

On the way in this morning I probably touched 90 on the M56....

But had left it 30 minutes later I would have done well to touch 40

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I would have done well to touch 40
        A bit like KentPhilip. He only touched 55 and considered himself to have done well.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          this is such a non story

The maximum speed of a motorway is 70mph

Nowhere has anyone said that this will be the expected speed you can travel on a motorway all the time....

On the way in this morning I probably touched 90 on the M56....

But had left it 30 minutes later I would have done well to touch 40
          M60 Anti clockwise, M66 and M65: average speed of 70mph often hitting 90mph. This was at the peak of rush hour. Beat that.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            M60 Anti clockwise, M66 and M65: average speed of 70mph often hitting 90mph. This was at the peak of rush hour. Beat that.
            I'm working at home and it's a sunny day.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I'm relaxing at home and it's a sunny day.
              Apples and Oranges and FTFY

Comment

I'm billing. It's work.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  You don't use the Grane road then?
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I'm billing. It's theft.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X