• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best cheap Android tablet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cheap Android tablet

I want to buy a cheap tablet that will primarily be used for hooking into my TV for viewing programmes/movies and for surfing. So I wouldn't need much in terms of disk space or processing power etc but mainly just a reasonable size screen and definitely Android.

Preferably not a Chinese knock-off either!

Can anyone here recommend one they have bought/used?

Amazon are currently doing the Kindle Fire HD (8Gb) for £89 rather than £119. It's Android but Amazon's slight tweak - not sure if that matters at all for your stated uses. In fact I think if you wanted to watch streaming video from Amazon - LoveFilm as it was previously - Fire is the ONLY Android tablet supporting this.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Nook HD 16GB - £89.99 at Argos
      Nook HD+ 32GB - £149.99 at Argos (£50 cheaper than the Nook HD+ 16GB )

Both take an SD card and you can also put a custom ROM on there easily if you want to get rid of the Nook flavour of Android.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I recently bought a Lenovo S6000 10" tablet. I think it was £160 from John Lewis.

Seems pretty good, and it's mostly pure Android without extra crap.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The Nook 16Gb unfortunately doesn't have a micro USB port.

I was looking through Amazon and they have quite a junk pile of tablets but also some decent looking ones like those from Cambridge Sciences. Prices range around the £70 mark and for my requirements the less spent the better (it's just going to be a knock-about tablet). Definitely sub-£100.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Preferably not a Chinese knock-off either!
            Make sure you stick to that

My first tablet was a load of crap - in the end the screen stopped working so I needed to hook up a mouse and keyboard to get it to work.

I "accidentally" dropped it so I could justify it to myself that I needed to get a decent one
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Make sure you stick to that

My first tablet was a load of crap - in the end the screen stopped working so I needed to hook up a mouse and keyboard to get it to work.

I "accidentally" dropped it so I could justify it to myself that I needed to get a decent one
              +1 To that, an android tablet was my first and last piece of chinese cr@p I will ever buy, my main reason for getting it was that at the time was the fact that it was the only only the offered a SD card slot for around £100, the lag from the 'quad-core' CPU was so terrible it made the tablet a real pain to use, its now consigned to the garage and I am more than happy with the Nexus 7 32GB I replaced it with (thought I would need an SD card slot but haven't missed it really as the svelte nature of stock android means I have around 29GB free, more then enough for downloads etc).

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                +1 To that, an android tablet was my first and last piece of chinese cr@p I will ever buy, my main reason for getting it was that at the time was the fact that it was the only only the offered a SD card slot for around £100, the lag from the 'quad-core' CPU was so terrible it made the tablet a real pain to use, its now consigned to the garage and I am more than happy with the Nexus 7 32GB I replaced it with (thought I would need an SD card slot but haven't missed it really as the svelte nature of stock android means I have around 29GB free, more then enough for downloads etc).
                If you find you need extra space, I recommend getting one of these - Meenova.com, Welcome

I got a first generation one via Kickstarter and have been very pleased with it with my N10 and N5. Not that I really need it that much, to be honest.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

refurbed Fire HD going for £65.

just works.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Nook HD 16GB - £89.99 at Argos
                    Nook HD+ 32GB - £149.99 at Argos (£50 cheaper than the Nook HD+ 16GB )

Both take an SD card and you can also put a custom ROM on there easily if you want to get rid of the Nook flavour of Android.
                    I didn't know there were any left! if you go to the NOOK online shop it only talk about the glowbook?

There is a new NOOK coming out, already been released in the USA. So I'm holding off on replacing mine. Wife hid it somewhere and can't remember where she put it!
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X