• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Media Network Setup - Have I made it too complicated and want to add Sonos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Media Network Setup - Have I made it too complicated and want to add Sonos

Sonos adds full Wi-Fi compatibility with latest software update - CNET

It seems with the latest software update the need for a bridge has been removed, guess thats £40 I can now put towards a Play 3 rather than a Play 1!

Although not sure which would be better, I like the idea of two Play 1's that I can add to a Playbar at a later date to make a surround system, but as music is more important to me than watching TV (now anyway) I am thinking the Play 3 in the Kitchen will get more use than the possible opportunity to pair them with the sound bar

I am hoping to take my iTunes which is on my MacBook Pro and play it in the next room from the main equipment, just playing around with the app(s) to make sure it can do what I want it to do (iTunes playlists, podcasts as well as music) but without a unit its not letting me get very far! I know I can play what ever is on my iPhone/iPad (yes I am a Fanboi) but would prefer it to all come from the MacBook and just use the iPhone/iPad as a controller as I intend to expand the system to a unit in the kitchen, and outside/bathroom depending on how "humidity proof" the Play:1 is

This is where I think I have made things more complicated that I need it to be, I have an old skool ReadyNas DUO which has one iTunes library on from a Mac Mini but this is purely for video content, any audio (music and podcasts mainly) is on my MacBook Pro with another iTunes. My iPhone syncs to the MacBook for audio only, the iPad to the Mini for Videos, it seems to work ok at the moment but adding the Sonos could cause a headache in that I will want it to play from the MacBook, but I will also still want to take when I work away.

I could move everything to one iTunes and use the NAS for all media and VPN back when I work away but questionable as to how well streaming audio would work or if there will be buffering.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

You could enable SMB sharing and share the mp3 folder off your macbook. It can be added in Sonos as a source and will appear in the Sonos library on all the apps.

That'd mean you have the file share enabled all the time which is probably not desirable, personally I'd copy the mp3s to the NAS and get Sonos to play off that.

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
      You could enable SMB sharing and share the mp3 folder off your macbook. It can be added in Sonos as a source and will appear in the Sonos library on all the apps.

That'd mean you have the file share enabled all the time which is probably not desirable, personally I'd copy the mp3s to the NAS and get Sonos to play off that.
      But that would just give me the files, and not the play lists which is the most important thing I take from iTunes

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

As far as I can tell you have to export playlists from itunes in XML format and import them into the Sonos app to make them work so regardless of where the MP3s are kept there would be no avoiding that step.

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
          As far as I can tell you have to export playlists from itunes in XML format and import them into the Sonos app to make them work so regardless of where the MP3s are kept there would be no avoiding that step.
          If you share the folder with the iTunes Library.xml file and scheduling a daily update playlists will be taken care of automatically

Comment

DLNA?

NETGEAR ReadyNAS • View topic - DLNA Playlists
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X