• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office 365

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's rather a bad argument really. "Oh it's not much, per month, compared with salaries". Sure, until you find you're subscribing to 10 such things. The whole reason they do monthly pricing is to make you think that way. It's the same silly "it's only a day's rate stop worrying" nonsense you here quite often.

You have your Office sub, your source control hosting sub, your issue-tracking sub, they soon mount up. Then you have Windows and (for instance) Visual Studio, maybe some nifty VS plugins, yada yada.

Not saying it's not worth it, but saying it's not even worth analysing is a bad move. Especially when the OP only mentioned it in reference to email.
    Believe it or not, i know something about running a business with more than 1 employee. You can hardly beat that price for these SLAs. If you decide to skimp on what is the front of your company and now days essential for almost any business, you are doing a poor job.

it's £3.1/month/mailbox probably less than the toilet paper per employee per month. Why not cut on that as well...

But this went way off topic.

My suggestion to the OP is to try both of them and see which one fits his own needs. Asking which one is better gmail or office365 is kind of asking which one is better Mercedes or BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Believe it or not, i know something about running a business with more than 1 employee. You can hardly beat that price for these SLAs. If you decide to skimp on what is the front of your company and now days essential for almost any business, you are doing a poor job.
      I'm not sure why your pride is hurt. I've raised perfectly reasonable points and questions, which you've answered well without any need to start a willy-waving contest.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Fastmail

I use Fastmail Business:
        https://www.fastmail.com/signup/#/signup/business.html

$15 per year for Basic or $30 per year for Standard accounts. Use with Thunderbird or other IMAP software (including Outlook).

Comment

Currently use both Google apps (gmail) and Office 365 for a couple of small businesses. I much prefer O365.

It looks like they've changed the packages again (used to be able to get small biz, midsize biz & enterprise), so I would want to check that you can mix 365 business essentials licenses (no office suite) with 365 Business/premium (with office), if you wanted some licenses with and without the desktop office suite.

Comment

IMHO... GMAIL

I've just started a contract recently where they insisted I install Office 365 on my laptop which I did with disastrous results. Their problem, not mine.

I work from home using Open Office which opens all Microsoft Office products, share files using DropBox and use Hangouts for instant chat with zero issues with clients around the globe.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatNoWebsite View Post
              IMHO... GMAIL

I've just started a contract recently where they insisted I install Office 365 on my laptop which I did with disastrous results. Their problem, not mine.

I work from home using Open Office which opens all Microsoft Office products, share files using DropBox and use Hangouts for instant chat with zero issues with clients around the globe.
              I'm no M$ fan but Open Office is a pile of poop as is IBM Symphony and all other clones based on this Open Source garbage.

I'm an Apple Fanboi and Office for Mac is better than iWork, the iWork suite is pretty good even in it's cut down iCloud format, just that Mac Office has all the bells and whistles needed nowadays to work with the other M$ tulip. Still prefer Pages etc for a simple Doc with no frills.

Comment

And I've heard that the yearly subscription includes Office for Mac. I hope so because OfM 2011 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm beginning to miss some of the functionality of Office 2013...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

it may or may not be relevant, but if you are dealing with public sector at all, O365 has been formally accredited for use at OFFICIAL by the Pan Government Accreditors at CESG. Google Apps/Mail etc hasn't, although CO have accredited it internally for their own use.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatNoWebsite View Post
                    IMHO... GMAIL

I just don't get this post. Office 365 isn't something magical - it's a subscription to good old fashioned Microsoft Office with some Exchange and Sharepoint hosting. To be honest, having used Google Apps for years, I found shifting to Office 365 a fantastic experience.

If it was just an e-mail account, all you needed to do was it any Exchange compatible e-mail client.

The only fancy stuff, really, is the streamed version of Office, but I've never actually had a need to use it.

Comment

I've only just got my subscription because I needed Visio, but I'll have a play with it next week.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X