• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are banks not innovative?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are banks not innovative?

I have recently declined a couple of offers with banks because of their backwards practices.
    I understand that this is a heavily regulated industry, but what I saw is an exercise in masochism.
    For example what is wrong with using git on a local project? It's open source, there is no virus in it
    How about using virtual machines or containers to isolate stuff? Yeah maybe, but not yourself, you have to submit a ticket and not on your local machine, just somewhere far away and no admin rights.
    And much more stuff like that.
    I am pretty sure that Dodd-Frank or any other similar solution like that says nothing about the software you can use and that this is pretty much self-inflicted.
    Is there a haven somewhere, perhaps a quasi-banking institutions like PayPal where you can enjoy working with big data and numbers but not be burdened by all this?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I have recently declined a couple of offers with banks because of their backwards practices.
    I understand that this is a heavily regulated industry, but what I saw is an exercise in masochism.
    For example what is wrong with using git on a local project? It's open source, there is no virus in it
    How about using virtual machines or containers to isolate stuff? Yeah maybe, but not yourself, you have to submit a ticket and not on your local machine, just somewhere far away and no admin rights.
    And much more stuff like that.
    I am pretty sure that Dodd-Frank or any other similar solution like that says nothing about the software you can use and that this is pretty much self-inflicted.
    Is there a haven somewhere, perhaps a quasi-banking institutions like PayPal where you can enjoy working with big data and numbers but not be burdened by all this?
    I suspect it's partially down to a lack of competition. I'm at a large financial institution (not a bank) and it's awful. Complete chimps have written and architected the systems here, but it works and they have a large enough market share that technology - for the most part - isn't an issue when it comes to keeping the young upstarts at bay. They just buy them.

Banks get given free money via QE etc, so efficiency isn't always top of their agenda.

Comment

If you do innovative stuff then you have to get in cutting edge people to maintain it. That stops them bringing in hoardes of Bobs in to keep the stuff running.

They try to cut every penny.

Then there are disasterous consequenes......

Comment

I think it all boils down to the massive hierarchical management structure in these places which they seem to fill with people who know feck all about banking or IT but who have mastered career progression fellatio.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I think it all boils down to the massive hierarchical management structure in these places which they seem to fill with people who know feck all about banking or IT but who have mastered career progression fellatio.
          Yup archaic, inefficient backwards practices are the best ways for the continuation of pole chocking and moving to a band 4c salary level.

Comment

Nope, its them being risk averse. They need to know that there is a vendor at the top of the support chain that can be sued if things go wrong. That is all.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

I hardly think allowing a contractor to turn up and start using a different version control system is "innovative".
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I hardly think allowing a contractor to turn up and start using a different version control system is "innovative".
                Clearcase is still heavily used in banks and it is pretty common in the places that have it to have developers constantly asking to migrate from it.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  But, assuming the contractor actually makes something the bank uses, they're then committed to having to support that VCS in addition to whatever they already have, including integrating it into build and deployment systems and all that malarkey. And if things go wrong four years from now at half past three on Boxing Day morning, will they have anybody there or on call who knows anything about it?

Comment

The bank I am contracting at just now (certainly the department I'm in) uses Subversion for code, but PVCS for all SQL scripts.

Only a few people in the department have licenses to PVCS, so you have to ask them to check it our and hold it for you while you do your work, then send them changes to check in.

Comment

Working...
                    X