• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need help with BT Phone Line

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with BT Phone Line

Relocated to Glasgow for my current client, and am trying to get an internet connection into my flat.

Virgin don't provide in the area my flat is in, so I'm looking at either Xilo or Andrews & Arnold.

I wanted to go for A&A because they can provide a "internet only" phone line, making the line rental a little cheaper.

I guess A&A and Xilo both are really only re-selling BT's phone services, so naturally I need a BT phone line coming into the flat, which I have (or at least I think I have... there is a socket that says "BT OpenReach").

Problem is, A&A, Xilo or even BT can't seem to find the line on their systems.

BT want to charge me £130 for an engineer to come and install a new line, which is a bit rediculous in my opinion. If the line is there, why should I pay £130?

So I was wondering if you guys could advise if there is something I can do? :/

Move? Cry? Live without broadband?

To be fair, it's probably a flat fee whether you need the road digging up or just an existing wire reconnecting.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by mhamzahkhan View Post
      Relocated to Glasgow for my current client, and am trying to get an internet connection into my flat.

Virgin don't provide in the area my flat is in, so I'm looking at either Xilo or Andrews & Arnold.

I wanted to go for A&A because they can provide a "internet only" phone line, making the line rental a little cheaper.

I guess A&A and Xilo both are really only re-selling BT's phone services, so naturally I need a BT phone line coming into the flat, which I have (or at least I think I have... there is a socket that says "BT OpenReach").

Problem is, A&A, Xilo or even BT can't seem to find the line on their systems.

BT want to charge me £130 for an engineer to come and install a new line, which is a bit rediculous in my opinion. If the line is there, why should I pay £130?

So I was wondering if you guys could advise if there is something I can do? :/
      Just because you have the socket doesn't mean there is anything connected to it!

How long are you there for? Mobile broadband is just as good as fixed line theses days, I have a 4G device from Alcatel with a three sim card, £15 a month for 15gb of traffic.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Move? Cry? Live without broadband?
        Can't move, 6 month tenancy contract, already cried, I need broadband for my other clients.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Just because you have the socket doesn't mean there is anything connected to it!
        But the previous tenant was using the line! Surely they couldn't have just cut the cable just two months after the previous person left the flat?

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        How long are you there for? Mobile broadband is just as good as fixed line theses days, I have a 4G device from Alcatel with a three sim card, £15 a month for 15gb of traffic.
        I'm here for 6 months. I did look into just buying a 4G dongle, but the problem is I don't think the bandwidth is enough.

I won't only be using it for personal use, my secondary contract requires me to work from home, and I have to transfer files which are large enough to eat through the bandwidth that most 3G/4G providers are offering extremely quickly.

Oh well, I guess paying that £130 is my only option.

Comment

Claim it as a legitimate business expense - sounds like it is if you need it for a client?
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
            Claim it as a legitimate business expense - sounds like it is if you need it for a client?
            Will be hard to convince HMRC of the "solely and exclusively" part for a rented residential (i presume) property.

Did you have a chat about that with the landlord? If you needed the broadband surely the presence of a land line was mentioned somewhere in the renting process.

Comment

Ask the previous tenant or LL what the phone number was. Try phoning it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                Well I'm using it for personal use as well as business so I don't think I can claim it, besides it'd still be going out of my pocket really, only difference being that I'll get my VAT back, no?

I'd rather not pay it at all. I know that's pretty stingy, but I mean... if the line is connected, and all good... I don't see why I should pay an engineer to come and say "yup. looks good".

If I calculate it as a monthly cost, it works out to be an additional £21 on top of my internet bill for the 6 months I'm here. Kinda crap in my opinion, especially considering I'll only be getting ~12mbit/s.

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Did you have a chat about that with the landlord? If you needed the broadband surely the presence of a land line was mentioned somewhere in the renting process.
                Yup. It was mentioned, but she said that as far as she knows the line works etc. The previous tenant was using it for his connection with TalkTalk, but that's all she knows about it.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Ask the previous tenant or LL what the phone number was. Try phoning it?
                Landlord no longer has the contact details for the previous tenant, and doesn't know the phone number for the line.

I'm going to grab a phone from home (in London) and bring it back with me to test if I get any dial tone or anything.

Comment

Regulations changed about 5 years ago to make it fairer to other telecoms companies.

If someone moves out and you take over the line whether they disconnected it a day or two months before you move in, then OpenReach will charge the company. This means all companies whether they are BT, Talktalk or Sky will pass on this charge to the customer to reconnect the line. The some telecoms operators discount the charge if you get a special deal.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Plug a phone in to the Openreach box and (assuming you get a dialling tone) dial 17070 to get the number. It may help track down the previous provider.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X