• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good UK based web host recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good UK based web host recommendation

I'm losing patience with my current webhost's standard of service (webfusion). I tried to install Joomla as a 1-click app, but it failed miserably, and tech support basically emailed me instructions to install it manually (which is also proving to be a pain). Drupal failed to 1-click install to.

So can anybody recommend a good UK based host? One with tech support and servers based in the UK. And one that's not a couple of students with a rack of rented servers in an office on an industrial estate somewhere.

Some of the online reviews of the various hosts look like they've been planted there by the companies PR dept with about 50 sock puppets...

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post
    I'm losing patience with my current webhost's standard of service (webfusion). I tried to install Joomla as a 1-click app, but it failed miserably, and tech support basically emailed me instructions to install it manually (which is also proving to be a pain). Drupal failed to 1-click install to.

So can anybody recommend a good UK based host? One with tech support and servers based in the UK. And one that's not a couple of students with a rack of rented servers in an office on an industrial estate somewhere.

Some of the online reviews of the various hosts look like they've been planted there by the companies PR dept with about 50 sock puppets...
    Catalyst2 (not sure of location) maybe ireland. Always respond quickly to support tickets raised on line, and provide high quality service to resolution if what your doing is supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post

I use Freeola with the upgrade to SQL Server hosting. Supports Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal, and their support (when I've needed it) has been prompt and effective.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

hostpost.co.uk are who I use
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I use Cheap Hosting UK - Free and Cheap UK Hosting, WordPress friendly.
          SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Vidahost, vidahost, vidahost!

Do a search I have recommended them many times and my recommendation has proven to be worthy
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll take a look at them.

Comment

Self hosting works pretty well, if you can be bothered. I run Wordpress and several other web sites on a low power ARM server in my house. Also Owncloud, which provides a good central place to keep data while on client sites. The hardware is a sheevaplug, a tiny Linux box the size of 2 fag packets. No fan, no spinning disks, consumes < 10 W. Has been running pretty faultlessly for 5 years.

Comment

Cheap, reliable and great tech support when needed.

Tsohost

And 1 click installs work.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

eukhost.com is good, using them for many years now.

Comment

Working...
                    X