• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More linux lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This doesn't really have much to do with linux, does it?

Comment

Boy, that escalated quickly

As per usual.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        This is why I avoid Linux.

None of this on AIX/Solaris/HP-UX
        TeeHee.

Playing with Solaris at the moment and am thoroughly enjoying it.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Boy, that escalated quickly

As per usual.
          I give it 8 days.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I am really starting to absolutely despise Linux land....
            +1.

The most expensive OS every purveyed IMO. God knows how many hours of clients and my own time I've wasted on issues like the one you post. Sorry I haven't anything constructive to say to help...

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              +1.

The most expensive OS every purveyed IMO. God knows how many hours of clients and my own time I've wasted on issues like the one you post. Sorry I haven't anything constructive to say to help...

Boo
              That's cos you are as thick as each other.....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Has Suity flounced again? This is an exponential one!
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  I knew it was a mistake coming back. I asked a genuine question, for a genuine problem. But oh no, let's all have a pile on.

Ok, fine. Have a pile on. Knock yourselves out.

I'm about ******* done with this board now.

Hope you ******* proud of yourself you utter *****
                  Good riddance.

As always, you dug your own hole by being yourself.

Also as always he will be posting from his sockies and will be back on the SY01 persona at some point in the not very distant future.
                  Last edited by TykeMerc; 22 May 2015, 22:54.

Comment

Compiling stuff on Open Source OS's is always going to be fraught, I used to do it over 10 years ago and it was no fun then, even on then closed source Solaris which was my main bag then, but I got it work spot-on and on AIX, HP-UX and even good old Irix, but the compilers weren't free and to be honest cost a freaking fortune but yous pays for what yous gets - they worked.

I agree with Boo (normally I don't!) I spent over a week recently compiling something on RHEL (no rpms) - it was absolute hell, gazillions of addition Open Source stuff needed, no direct connection to internet, half the stuff gone or reallocated or developer lost interest. ISTR we paid about 4000 quid for the SGI MIPS compiler and it just worked. In 2002 mind!

IMHO Open Source has it's place but it's not in the Enterprise, IMHO!! It's not even worth it on the desktop since I was recently forced to use a Linux laptop and it was kin' awful, Scruff will confirm cos he got one too!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      That's cos you are as thick as each other.....
                      No, it's because Linux is Tulipe.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X