• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cookies not working for anyone except me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookies not working for anyone except me

Just a quick question - because this is driving me insane - but most of the end users of a website I've put together are public sector/ education. Is it possible that there are group policies that disable cookies? Can't think of any other reason why cookies aren't working

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Just a quick question - because this is driving me insane - but most of the end users of a website I've put together are public sector/ education. Is it possible that there are group policies that disable cookies? Can't think of any other reason why cookies aren't working
    Check what how they are being sent in the header of the response. Are they against the correct domain or does it differ from the page itself
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Check what how they are being sent in the header of the response. Are they against the correct domain or does it differ from the page itself
      Well, when I run one of my requests through fiddler it all looks good and the cookie gets created.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that it gets deleted when I close my browser window. That's not causing my problems but it's not desirable.

I'm setting cookie domain as .mydomain.org.uk and setting expiry to 1 year from now.

Comment

Well, when I run one of my requests through fiddler it all looks good and the cookie gets created.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that it gets deleted when I close my browser window. That's not causing my problems but it's not desirable.

I'm setting cookie domain as .mydomain.org.uk and setting expiry to 1 year from now.
        Are all requests going to www.mydomain.org.uk and none going to mydomain.org.uk (note the lack of anything prefix in the second as those requests won't save the cookie).

You are explicitly setting the date for expires?

Comment

Are all requests going to www.mydomain.org.uk and none going to mydomain.org.uk (note the lack of anything prefix in the second as those requests won't save the cookie).

You are explicitly setting the date for expires?
          Yes, I checked in fiddler & they are all going to www.mydomain.org.uk & I'm setting the expiration date of the cookie with a DateTime.Now + 1 year construct.

Like I said, the cookie gets deleted when I close the browser (IE11) but when I fired it back up again, I noticed that the cookie was there in the request so possible it gets persisted in more than 1 place. I was looking at C:\Users\Gumbo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INe tCookies\Low (win 8.1).

Comment

Yes, I checked in fiddler & they are all going to www.mydomain.org.uk & I'm setting the expiration date of the cookie with a DateTime.Now + 1 year construct.

Like I said, the cookie gets deleted when I close the browser (IE11) but when I fired it back up again, I noticed that the cookie was there in the request so possible it gets persisted in more than 1 place. I was looking at C:\Users\Gumbo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INe tCookies\Low (win 8.1).
            What do the log files say. Clearly your requests are going to www. But are everyone elses?

Comment

What do the log files say. Clearly your requests are going to www. But are everyone elses?
              I think I've found the problem.

I've got a shopping cart that hooks up with Papal. I specify a return URL in a hidden ffield on the form..

When I capture the response in Fiddler, I see that the cookie gets passed back in theback post request back to my site but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. Even when cookies have been working for other people up to this point it seems to be here where it all falls over.

Edit: the return URL that I was passing into Paypal (i.e. the one that the user is redirected to after completing their transaction) was http://mydomain.org.ukuk. I changed it to http://www.mydomain.org.ukmydomain and it all seems to work.

Thanks for your help.
              Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 3 June 2015, 16:10.

Comment

Working...
              X