• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any particular reason to go for Fibre v2 over regular Fibre?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any particular reason to go for Fibre v2 over regular Fibre?

I think we're finally going to upgrade from regular ADSL to fibre, as prices continue to fall. We currently get about 14Mbps and to be honest don't have many problems with it - we can watch Netflix HD on two or even 3 devices at once and download movies/programs faster than real-time which is all that's really needed with modern platforms like Sky/PSN. And we don't torrent or generally download entire movies anyway.

So I'm wondering if there's much point getting the 76Mbps fibre services rather than regular 38Mbps? As a developer, upload speed might be the big bonus but going from ADSL->fibre is going to be such a blessing already.
    I'm struggling to see that a household of 2 people is going to see any benefit, especially when most providers have 12-18 month contracts so we could always upgrade anyway.

The main benefit of "Fibre 2" seems to be depressing the price of "Fibre 1" for us, but if anyone has any wise words pro/anti this sentiment I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

76mbps is not even close to the physical limits of a fibre connection, generally have you considered streaming 4k (already avaialble on netflix, youtube and beeb) or 8k videos? that needs some bandwidth.
    i'd say you should also go for the highest tier of bandwidth so that ISP have to figure out something even faster to upgrade you to.
    On average you will never get close to saturating 76mbit for longer of periods of time, but streaming a movie + software updates + some upload etc could easily choke even that...

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      76mbps is not even close to the physical limits of a fibre connection, generally have you considered streaming 4k (already avaialble on netflix, youtube and beeb) or 8k videos? that needs some bandwidth.
      I don't have any compatible devices so until we buy a new TV... which won't be until our new contract is up for renewal (and I decide we need a PS4 )

Comment

If you don't have the technical requirement for it, then the only other reason would be financial.

Is it cheaper than you are currently paying?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Fibre is not cheaper than ADSL but is getting to the point of being comparable, or at least very cheap. I've seen £10/month or even free for 6/12 months in some cases.

I can see some benefits to Fibre as it is so much faster - uploads probably more significantly as the different is so massive - but at a glance Fibre v1 just seems such a big step up I can't imagine it being annoying. And Fibre v2 seems to cost about what Fibre v1 used to.

Comment

As well as speeds check data limits. Fibre can be more generous (unless you already have truly unlimited).

Comment

I would and in fact did go for 40. Mine connects at 80Mb but I only pay for the 40Mb service so it's capped. Really the only benefit over 16Mb ADSL is upload: now 20Mb instead of 1.

Netflix is about 6Mb for HD and 15Mb for 4K so in that context 80Mb is pretty ridiculous.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I think we're finally going to upgrade from regular ADSL to fibre, as prices continue to fall. We currently get about 14Mbps and to be honest don't have many problems with it - we can watch Netflix HD on two or even 3 devices at once and download movies/programs faster than real-time which is all that's really needed with modern platforms like Sky/PSN. And we don't torrent or generally download entire movies anyway.

So I'm wondering if there's much point getting the 76Mbps fibre services rather than regular 38Mbps? As a developer, upload speed might be the big bonus but going from ADSL->fibre is going to be such a blessing already.
                I'm struggling to see that a household of 2 people is going to see any benefit, especially when most providers have 12-18 month contracts so we could always upgrade anyway.

The main benefit of "Fibre 2" seems to be depressing the price of "Fibre 1" for us, but if anyone has any wise words pro/anti this sentiment I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
                Have you got your own router, or do you just use whatever your ISP provides?
                Because if you have your own and like to dabble, then you'll obviously need to change it for a non-ADSL one. Just something to bear in mind.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I would and in fact did go for 40. Mine connects at 80Mb but I only pay for the 40Mb service so it's capped. Really the only benefit over 16Mb ADSL is upload: now 20Mb instead of 1.

Netflix is about 6Mb for HD and 15Mb for 4K so in that context 80Mb is pretty ridiculous.

I didn't realise the upload speed was so different between fibre and adsl. That really would mean I could use a cloud backup solution instead of NAS.
                Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

38Mbps fibre, fast enough for constant vpn, CRM & Outlook syncs & pulling many Gigs from SQL servers around the world. In fact its faster than the office with its leased line .

never seen any issues with posting on CUK. Amazon prime is fine on it with about 4 of us streaming.

Asus RT-N10U running DD-WRT its better than my old Netgear router running stock firmware.

DD-WRT is awesome! So much control.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
                    Have you got your own router, or do you just use whatever your ISP provides?
                    Because if you have your own and like to dabble, then you'll obviously need to change it for a non-ADSL one. Just something to bear in mind.
                    Good point but we just use the free one they send us (or always have done).

I didn't realise the upload speed was so different between fibre and adsl. That really would mean I could use a cloud backup solution instead of NAS.
                    Indeed. ADSL tops out about 1Mbps I believe, whereas Fibre has far less disparity between up/down speed, 10Mbps seems about normal.

Even for using cloud-based version-control or uploading new builds of software to client servers, this is a big deal. It's the one real annoyance ADSL has given me.

Thanks for the feedback all - looks to me there really is no need for me to consider the faster fibre right now since I can always upgrade in a year or two when it's cheaper

Comment

Working...
                    X