• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK domain name selling and valuation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK domain name selling and valuation

I own a handful of domain names which have been parked for years. Some I had business ideas for but never developed. Recently I've had a couple of unsolicited approaches expressing interest in individual domains.

The domains in question are a 3-letter.org.uk and a 3-letter.me.uk. Both the approaches are from UK individuals/businesses, neither have made actual offers.

I have never sold a domain name before. I am particularly clueless on the valuation. I've done some reading around (Sedo, 123-reg, Easily, Nominet) but still unsure on the best way forward.

Any advice or tips please?

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    I own a handful of domain names which have been parked for years. Some I had business ideas for but never developed. Recently I've had a couple of unsolicited approaches expressing interest in individual domains.

The domains in question are a 3-letter.org.uk and a 3-letter.me.uk. Both the approaches are from UK individuals/businesses, neither have made actual offers.

I have never sold a domain name before. I am particularly clueless on the valuation. I've done some reading around (Sedo, 123-reg, Easily, Nominet) but still unsure on the best way forward.

Any advice or tips please?
    It depends how you feel about these things.

So I approached a guy to buy a parked domain and he offered me to buy it at $40,000 or lease it at $400 p/m. As far as I'm concerned this is tulip move and the guy occupies the same mind space as spammers for me. If you feel like this or you're the type to whine about house prices being unfair, sell the domain at whatever you've spent on it over the years.

If however you think we're all out to get whatever you can, then you want to sell it for the maximum you can. I'd suggest anything that's not a .com, .co.uk or, at a push, maybe a .net or .org isn't worth anything. You could maybe ask for £1000. Bare in mind you'll likely just keep incurring cost as if you were going to use the domains you would have done it by now. So you do want offload and you given the number of TDLs now, only the above will actually sell for higher prices.

Comment

Working...
    X