• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any One Got An Apple TV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any One Got An Apple TV?

I have a Mac Mini under the main TV with iTunes running off my NAS, all TV shows and films are on this to be watched in the main TV.

I want to get a Apple TV to use in the kids room which can browse the content on the Mac Mini and NAS, as its a single home sharing iTunes I don't think this will be a problem, however two questions:

1) Is it worth waiting for the new Apple TV? Looks like the price is about to jump up and a lot of the connected services I wouldn't want the kids to be able to access anyway

2) Parental controls, what are they like? Most of the films have been brought into iTunes so have the age rating etc, can the device be restricted to only see U or PG films and leave the remaining ones unplayable?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I got one but dont use it much and probably should get rid of it

I wanted to jailbreak it and get the extra content but that never became available.

Parental controls work pretty well on it.
    Join IPSE

Comment

It sounded like the new Apple TV was quite a big leap but whether you can get the updated features on an older model I don't know. If not, I'd suggest the newer one.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It sounded like the new Apple TV was quite a big leap but whether you can get the updated features on an older model I don't know. If not, I'd suggest the newer one.
        You can't - it has a whole new OS - tvOS!

Registered Apple devs gone one for free a month ago if they were quick enough.....

Comment

I would wait for the new one, even if you don't need the additional features now, you might need them later on, future proofing yourself . The price hike is not that big considering it's an Apple product and the kids might appreciate the gaming console bit of the new AppleTV.

Comment

Daughter has one in her room, parental controls on it are top notch.

As long as your other half doesn't give them the password.....
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Wait for the new one, I reckon. I bought one a few months ago, but I'll be getting the new one when Apple get around to releasing it over here.

The price may be going up, but only from £60 to probably around £100 for a thing that can do a lot more than the old one.

The online services are already available on the current one. I'm hoping they get some more UK-centric ones on there for the new one, though. They really need to sort out some UK broadcasters.

Although I've not used the parental controls, AIUI you can lock it down pretty well with them.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                Daughter has one in her room, parental controls on it are top notch.

As long as your other half doesn't give them the password.....
                I have a simple answer to that, don't give the other half the password
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I`ve had one years, but rarely (very rarely) use it. It was cutting edge in its time, but others have caught it up. The main thing I use/used it for was running stuff on the big screen TV off the Ipad/Iphone. The last film I paid for to watch was "FURY" Occasionally ill blow the dust off it and have a play, but eventually the dust re settles.

Comment

Working...
                  X