• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Escaping the Iphone cycle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

The Nokia 3210 is a GSM cellular phone, announced by Nokia on March 18, 1999

Fond memories of my 1998 Nokia 6110. I only got shut of that because I damaged the charger connection somehow or other. A bit bulky compared to today's phones but otherwise nowt wrong with it.
    Mr C is still using my old 3510 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3510

He's very happy with it (keeps his texts short mind...).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Mr C is still using my old 3510 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3510

He's very happy with it (keeps his texts short mind...).
      I switched mine on the other day - it's not been used for about 7 years, but still had two bars left. Tried switching the phone I stopped using a month ago on - nothing.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I switched mine on the other day - it's not been used for about 7 years, but still had two bars left. Tried switching the phone I stopped using a month ago on - nothing.
        Left my S6 by the side of the bed last night and forgot to plug it in. 7 hours later - nothing

Can't even put the spare battery in. Sometimes I think phone development is going backwards faster than it's going forwards.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Sometimes I think phone development is going backwards faster than it's going forwards.

It's because they are no longer phones.

As the quote says:

Question: If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?

Answer: I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
          I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Nokia Lumia 735, buy it outright then use a GiffGaff sim. A bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by thelastrosbif View Post
              is it possible? Worthwhile?

Have been trapped in the apple release cycle since the Original 3G, have quite a hefty itunes match and app collection, currently using a 5s and time to upgrade

something intriguing about the prospect of jumping ship though but.......its hard yaknow?

Anyone made it out from the darkside?
              Honestly, why do mugs pay 600 plus quid for a poxy phone?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I buy a new iPhone every year. Why? because in a years time when the next is released I sell the current one generally for £150 or so less than I paid for it and buy the next one. I have a £10/month tariff and the latest phone every year. Even with the depreciation its only costing me just over 20 quid or so a month.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Oddly enough I thought that was one of Apples downfalls bearing in mind how fragile the screens are and the argument about the OS slowing down at regular points. Guess it depends on the case you have and how much the speed / number of apps you load it up with matters to you. I thought on a straight comparison this was one area Android easily beats Apple on this point?

Although the fixation that Apple fanbois have does make me roll my eyes I assume the OS must be good to get that fan base so I'd never say they were crap but I do know more people that were Android, tried Apple and ended up back Android than the other way around. It's just breaking out of the Apple mentality and being able to compare erm.. Apples with Apples

Just the sheer amount people spend on fixing screens is enough for me to stay Android. I can't see Apple would bring me a world of benefits that would make having the thing repaired regularly palatable.
                  I don't think I know a single person IRL who's broken their iPhone screen. I certainly haven't in six years.

I do see it happening occasionally to people online (e.g. people I follow on Twitter) but virtually all of them later report that the Apple Store replaced the screen (or replaced the phone with a refurbished one in the same, or better, condition as theirs) at no charge, including transferring all their data and what have you.

The only people I see who pay to replace the screen are those who think they're putting one over on Apple by getting a replacement done on some dodgy market stall, without first having checked to see if Apple will sort it out for them.
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 9 October 2015, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    They don't. They pay £600+ for a top quality handheld computer.

I usually only use the phone bit of mine about once a week, to call my mum. If the phone bit stopped working, but the rest of it was OK, I'd probably just dig my old Nokia out of the cupboard once a week instead, while continuing to carry my handheld computer everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      They don't. Their company pays £600+ for a top quality handheld computer.

Comment

Working...
                      X