• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid windows password screen!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid windows password screen!

Won't let me set a password because it doesn't meet the requirements (length, complexity, etc) but won't tell me what the requirements are.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

What version of Windows?

Try... 1 capital letter, at least one symbol and the rest as lower case

e.g. W!ndows8issh!te
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Passw0rd1

FTW!
      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

The default is 8 symbols length with complexity (3 out of 4 upper case, lower case, number, symbol). Password1 fulfils the default requirements if the default length is changed to the more popular 12 - Password12345 is your friend

Comment

Or be like my dad, change it to: Incorrect.

Then, when you forget it, your computer says: Your Password Is Incorrect.

Comment

I think its set at a corporate policy level by domain controller. The most painful is when they expire after 8 weeks and you choose a new one and it cannot be one used previously and cannot follow patterns like 1234 etc etc. I have had to write down passwords FFS !
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              I think its set at a corporate policy level by domain controller. The most painful is when they expire after 8 weeks and you choose a new one and it cannot be one used previously and cannot follow patterns like 1234 etc etc. I have had to write down passwords FFS !
              For work passwords, I try to come up with a sequence where all that is required is to change the number at the end.

So if today's password is WTFH156 then the next one will be WTFH157.

The other thing I don't get is people who update one work password, but not all the others, so they end up with a piece of paper containing their 10 different work passwords.

Hey, how about changing them all when the first one is due for renewal?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The other thing I don't get is people who update one work password, but not all the others, so they end up with a piece of paper containing their 10 different work passwords.

SSO anyone?

10 passwords for one place? whats the clientco? I could sort that out for a price!
                If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post

SSO anyone?

10 passwords for one place? whats the clientco? I could sort that out for a price!

SSO would work, and does for many of the applications, but this place has 3 different reporting tools and an ERP system that aren't set up for SSO, and then there's the two pricing tools, the 3rd party systems that are interfaced. If you are allowed access to the test and live systems, you have different passwords for each...

...It goes on.

Comment

All i hear is challenging, not impossible.

Segregation of environments aside, there are ways to put SSO in front of even the trickiest applications/legacy systems.
                    If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Working...
                    X