• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GPU, GPGPU & Parallel Programming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    OK I get that, but if had access to a SPARC proc with what, 1024 effective vcpus - is that better? Or SGI's old NUBUS tech, where all memory was shared between CPU, IO, GPU the lot?
    TBH, I don't know enough about SPARC hardware to comment. However, the thing w/ GPUs is that they're dirt cheap (several thousand cores for a few hundred quid; there are dedicated GP-GPU cards like the NVIDIA Tesla but, IIRC, they really aren't worth the money). In contrast, SPARC hardware is relatively expensive, right? Anyway, basically, what you're saying is right - it's just using a GPU for general purpose (GP) processing, hence GP-GPU, only it is a cost-effective way of achieving massive parallelism, with several thousand cores available on tap, and you can put a bank of GPUs together relatively easily.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      OK I get that, but if had access to a SPARC proc with what, 1024 effective vcpus - is that better? Or SGI's old NUBUS tech, where all memory was shared between CPU, IO, GPU the lot?
      GPUs are more vector oriented and have more limited set of commands - it can only work is the task is really well paralleliseable and also amount of memory required is relatively low because you'd need it all in GPU RAM (4-24 GB max).

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        ASP.NET MVC is going to pay the bills, pay the mortgage off, buy you a top of the range executive German car, take the family on nice foreign holidays for the next 10 years. What's not to like. Money for old rope.

Personally, I'd forget the other stuff, stick with the good ole MS gravy train. Toot toot!
        Word!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          GpGPUs will get more interesting next year once they get more or less unified memory (without crazy access penalties), and more general CPU-like capabilities - otherwise they are limited in the amount of data they can keep in RAM and you need to be able to feed lots of GPU cores with it doing things that only some tasks can benefit from.
          What he said.

However, if you want a relatively cheap standalone platform that supports unified memory then you could always have a look at one of these...

Jetson TK1

Comment

SDN/NFV, I am having to pay 4 figure day rates for good developers and have a 5 year forecast of several hundred man years. 2015 was the year it went mainstream, now it's nuts.

Telcos are placing big bets on SDN.

Comment

GPGPU is still niche but certainly growing. You can get GPU-based servers on demand with Amazon etc which tells you they are in demand, it is becoming quite widely used especially in the scientific community.

@stek; it really is night'n'day. A GPU can quite easily be 1000X times faster than a CPU for dealing with big chunks of repetitive data... for instance GP coding made brute-forcing hash codes easy that were considered basically unbreakable previously.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                SDN/NFV, I am having to pay 4 figure day rates for good developers and have a 5 year forecast of several hundred man years. 2015 was the year it went mainstream, now it's nuts.

Telcos are placing big bets on SDN.
                Well their bets are doing something strange to Jobserve - a search for SDN / NFV finds only 4 references across all countries JS supports. Of those 4 the highest paying is £550 per day which is average for London at best and nowhere near 4 figures.

So fail, 0 out of 10 for your spam post too...

Boo
                Last edited by Boo; 22 January 2016, 11:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  Well their bets are doing something strange to Jobserve - a search for SDN / NFV finds only 4 references across all countries JS supports. Of those 4 the highest paying is £550 per hour which is average for London at best and nowhere near 4 figures.

Boo
                  I'll have some of that!!! That's more then NLadyUK!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    Well their bets are doing something strange to Jobserve - a search for SDN / NFV finds only 4 references across all countries JS supports. Of those 4 the highest paying is £550 per hour which is average for London at best and nowhere near 4 figures.

Boo
                    Boo, in another post you claim that you work for a Telco.

SDN / NFV development doesn't happen in London. The players are Cisco, Juniper, ConteXtream, Huawei, Brocade, VMware/Nicira et al. Name one serious player in the Telco space who develops in the UK?

'kin hell, you should know that even VF technology is on the new campus in DUS. Have you ever been to the office behind Paddington? Seen any developers? Or just SAs?

Development positions in carrier technology on Jobserve? You are looking in the wrong place buddy. Find me an SDN developer for £550 who cut his teeth in something like IOS development with 15 years experience. Find me several and I'll make you rich.

$150-175K permie roles in Palo Alto for lowely engineers, which will be with HP who pay below market because they are good to have on your CV in the valley. http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Sdn-E...-Alto,-CA.html
                    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 21 January 2016, 19:46.

Comment

Boo, in another post you claim that you work for a Telco
                      Fiction. Link please ?

SDN / NFV development doesn't happen in London. The players are Cisco, Juniper, ConteXtream, Huawei, Brocade, VMware/Nicira et al. Name one serious player in the Telco space who develops in the UK?

'kin hell, you should know that even VF technology is on the new campus in DUS. Have you ever been to the office behind Paddington? Seen any developers? Or just SAs?

Development positions in carrier technology on Jobserve? You are looking in the wrong place buddy. Find me an SDN developer for £550 who cut his teeth in something like IOS development with 15 years experience. Find me several and I'll make you rich.
                      Jobserve is in no way restricted to IOS etc, it is in fact the UK's leading job site in the IT world in all technologies. It is true that it's not the force it was but it is still a good indicator of what is hapening in the IT space in the UK.

The remainder of what you say in that quote seems to be entirely irrelevant, but whatever you found in your Xmas stocking, I wish there'd been some in mine...

$150-175K permie roles in Palo Alto for lowely engineers, which will be with HP who pay below market because they are good to have on your CV in the valley. Sdn Engineer Salary in Palo Alto, CA | Indeed.com
                      So what ? You said SDN / NFV is "smokin'" which, in the UK at least it clearly is not. And the salary for the role you post in your link is paying £101k equiv, which is easily matched and bettered in permanent IB roles in London and by contract rates in almost every other field to boot. Certainly a full year in contract nets me a whole lot more than that in embedded C / C++.

One hears of 7 figure salaries being paid in the West Coast of the USA but that is as irrelevant as the nonsense you posted for the simple reason that UK citizens will struggle to get interviews let alone visa's.

"Smokin'" my FHUA.

So my comment stands : kindly take your nonsensical spam jobs posts for jobs that don't really exist to somewheer they belong like, well, like Bobserve for example.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X