• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best recent Windows Device Drivers book ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best recent Windows Device Drivers book ?

Hi,

The MS pages for Windows Driver development reference the book "Developing Drivers with the Windows Driver Foundation" (ISBN 0735623740) but this dates from 2007. Anyone know a decent more recent book that deals with modern Windows Driver development ?

Thanks,

Boo

Out of interest what sort of hardware are you wanting to write a device driver for?

For most peripherals, they go the USB route, meaning it is relatively easy to write.

I don't know of any recent books on the subject. Is there not enough on MSDN?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

Comment

WHS. Books? How quaint!

I had to create a Windows driver recently; something I'd never done before, but I just built the relevant sample from MSDN and worked from there. Learning how to setup the environment was the hardest bit - using a VM made it a lot easier.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes, there's loads of stuff on the MS website but I like books partly because you can read them without being on the pooter and partly because I just like books.

I know about the driver examples downloads and the CE versions of VS do make it easy to use the WDK but I am looking for well laid out background reading as I often find that you only end up partially knowing the subject if you try to learn it from examples, theory is useful too.

Thanks for the replies,

Boo

Comment

Working...
        X