• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving data from old to new PC ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving data from old to new PC ?

Hi,

Just built up a new PC and I need to move all the data across from the old one. Wondered if anyone here has recently been through this process and might have a handle on the best way to approach it ? Machines are connected by ethernet, old pc is W7 Pro, new is W10E if it makes any diffference.

Thanks,

Boo

Use the synology application and remap the folders you have set autoback up to and it will reinstall automatically on to the new PC.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Copy data to external disc and restore onto new machine ?

Comment

Cut 'n' paste old to new. Bu cutting it's easier to see what's left and still needs to be moved. Windows explorer is sufficient for this.

Comment

I agree with Platypus. Lots more sophisticated/techie methods but by the time you have sorted out the potential problems (check Google for slow speed transfer issues with Home groups and sharing with Win 7) the crude approach is much simpler. Some less obvious things like IE favourites, Windows start menus etc are easy to copy as well, a quick Google tells you location.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Put the old HDD inside the new PC. Will be faster that way.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Or you can just put the old hard disc into a USB external disc enclosure. Much simpler.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I would upgrade the old PC to win 10 then clone the disk.

Comment

Use this as an opportunity to spring clean the system, reinstall everything from scratch, but only those applications that you actually use
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Or you can just put the old hard disc into a USB external disc enclosure. Much simpler.
                    I'd like to change my answer to that.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X