• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dash cam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Got a Transcend Drive Pro 220, pretty good. Only problem was that that the crash sensor was over sensitive, got triggered by going over potholes. However, I suspect that could be fixed by making the mounting more rigid.
    Thanks, I think the 200 is a bit like a 220 with fewer bells and whistles.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Got a Transcend Drive Pro 220, pretty good. Only problem was that that the crash sensor was over sensitive, got triggered by going over potholes. However, I suspect that could be fixed by making the mounting more rigid.
      Quite a few poor reviews on that one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...owViewpoints=0

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Thanks, I think the 200 is a bit like a 220 with fewer bells and whistles.
        What bells and whistles do you need?

DP220 accepts a 64GB card. It's also a little more discreet than the 200.

GPS: I know where I've been and would disable the on-screen speed recording anyway.

Lane departure warning: wut, seriously?

Just to confuse things, it appears there's now also a '2016' version of the 200 with internal battery instead of super-cap, like that's a good thing (I'm not so sure). Both accept a 32GB card.

To be fair I do now recall some problems with the 200, since solved with a FW upgrade. Although still haven't got the wifi working properly.

Some reported problems with dash cams, generally, are down to cheap/fake cards. I would stick with brand name cards supplied and fulfilled by Amazon which are dirt cheap nowadays anyway.

Comment

Looking into this a bit more I have learned:

1. You want a Dash Cam with an internal battery or super capacitor to ensure a crash is recorded in the event the force destroys the cars electrical system or the power lead comes off the device at impact.
          2. You want someting robust incase it comes off the mount in an accident.
          3. You want night vision for early morning / evening commuting in the winter and maybe a polarising filter/lens to prevent glare at sunrise/sunset.

None of them are perfect though.

Comment

Quite a few poor reviews on that one.
            Think you clicked view the poor reviews page there. On the crash problem you can turn the option off.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks, it seems none are perfect. Food for thought, my wife's car already has a camera built in for the lane departure warning system. Why didn't the makers install software to use it as a dash cam too? Oh well.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Thanks, it seems none are perfect. Food for thought, my wife's car already has a camera built in for the lane departure warning system. Why didn't the makers install software to use it as a dash cam too? Oh well.
                Privacy?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A friend of mine has the Garmin 10 which he recommends very highly.

Comment

I have a mini 0806 - cost around £75 IIRC - with a polarising filter fitted, and it has been more or less faultless in the year it has been installed. Not wanting wires and so on, I got it fitted by a (MB dealer) recommended guy, and it just works!
                    Only problem that I can level at it is that the internal (non removable) battery does not hold a charge so well now, so a series of shorter trips can sound the low battery warning when the car powers down - it is wired into switchable ignition source, so fires up with the car and shuts down after a preset delay on turning car off.
                    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                      I have a mini 0806 - cost around £75 IIRC - with a polarising filter fitted, and it has been more or less faultless in the year it has been installed. Not wanting wires and so on, I got it fitted by a (MB dealer) recommended guy, and it just works!
                      Only problem that I can level at it is that the internal (non removable) battery does not hold a charge so well now, so a series of shorter trips can sound the low battery warning when the car powers down - it is wired into switchable ignition source, so fires up with the car and shuts down after a preset delay on turning car off.
                      That's an often reported fault specifically for the 0806, but generally the tiny lithium batteries do not fair well in the sometimes high temperature environment car. I believe the later model (0826?) was billed with a super-cap, not sure if that made it to market as I have stopped looking now. It's ironic that Transcend went the other way, super-cap -> internal battery - that might be due to size or cost, or due to customer reviews of the DP200 losing date & time if left parked after a few days, not that I have experienced that at all.
                      Last edited by Contreras; 1 September 2016, 07:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X