• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon Echo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed Amazon delivery yesterday, but WFH today so camped by the door (not )......want to chat with Alexa
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
      Missed Amazon delivery yesterday, but WFH today so camped by the door (not )......want to chat with Alexa
      hah, i also missed delivery yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        hah, i also missed delivery yesterday.
        Recieved mine yesterday - not opened it yet though!
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
          Recieved mine yesterday - not opened it yet though!
          Show-off!

Looks like a few people are having issues connecting it to BT Home Hub.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ct-bt-home-hub

Comment

Got mine Wednesday, just worked straight out of the box. We've had some chats, and now I need to work out how best to put her to good use.
            Last edited by v8gaz; 30 September 2016, 08:56.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
              Got mine Wednesday, just worked straight out of the box. We've had some chars, and now I need to work out how best to put her to good use.
              Same here, setup was pretty easy though the app crashed first time on the iphone when setting up the echo (restart fixed it). Also, has a website option for the same settings.

The speaker as most reviews said is ok, not great but ok. The echo is in the main bedroom so not blasting out sound so its fine for me. The speech recognition is fine and the echo responds surprisingly fast, even when placed miles away from the wi-fi router.

Switching lights on and off was very easy to setup, I'm using wemo plugs from Belkin and just worked.

The news updates are good, playing music is good. You can also get updates on the traffic for your commute but it doesn't work well if you ask how is the traffic to say X destination.

I have a few audio books and again just worked straightaway, though would be nice if you could select the books without remembering the title, so say ask for a list of titles in the collection.

Was pretty cool last night asking Alexa to play classic fm for 30 mins and setting up wake up reminders.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Same here, setup was pretty easy though the app crashed first time on the iphone when setting up the echo (restart fixed it). Also, has a website option for the same settings.

The speaker as most reviews said is ok, not great but ok. The echo is in the main bedroom so not blasting out sound so its fine for me. The speech recognition is fine and the echo responds surprisingly fast, even when placed miles away from the wi-fi router.

Switching lights on and off was very easy to setup, I'm using wemo plugs from Belkin and just worked.

The news updates are good, playing music is good. You can also get updates on the traffic for your commute but it doesn't work well if you ask how is the traffic to say X destination.

I have a few audio books and again just worked straightaway, though would be nice if you could select the books without remembering the title, so say ask for a list of titles in the collection.

Was pretty cool last night asking Alexa to play classic fm for 30 mins and setting up wake up reminders.
                Coolio - well, mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't opened it and setup yet.....task for this morning, as WFH!

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                  Coolio - well, mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't opened it and setup yet.....task for this morning, as WFH!
                  Shouldn't it be able to open itself when you ask it to?

Part of me wants one and part of me is horrified by the very idea.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The google home...

The new Google Home speaker will reportedly cost $50 less than the Amazon Echo - The Verge

When these things have a 'please make conversation with my wife in the other room' setting I'm buying.
                    You'd be a a fool to let Google essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...

Comment

Right, installed and up and running....usual fun asking daft questions, with relatively successful results. Managed to get my Tado heating system linked in, and now just listening to News headlines

Comment

Working...
                      X