• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody boiler question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The only thing I recommend us when getting your boiler serviced/repaired use someone recommended, and if they are a company don't them them off the hook if one of their plumbers screws up.

(And no it wasn't BG but the same rules apply.)
    It's difficult trying to find someone decent and reliable.

We had one guy but just a bit sleezy and just didn't trust him.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The ZeitParents used BG, which was reasonable, and they did turn up when required.
      BG sub-contract so it's luck of the draw who you get.

I know two people who got their yearly direct debits back due to some BG screw up with their boilers. There as others have been fine with them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

if its just on the connector (where the line on fig 17 points to) I had that on one of my boilers, I tightened the nut slightly and the drip stopped as it was a basic plumbing issue.

The over temp valve etc are inside the boiler where you don't venture, that just isn't safe.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          if its just on the connector (where the line on fig 17 points to) I had that on one of my boilers, I tightened the nut slightly and the drip stopped as it was a basic plumbing issue.
          This.

My combi boiler pump merrily packed up Christmas day afternoon and I'm waiting for a plumbing supplier to open tomorrow to get a replacement. It's fecking cold with no heating in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
            This.

My combi boiler pump merrily packed up Christmas day afternoon and I'm waiting for a plumbing supplier to open tomorrow to get a replacement. It's fecking cold with no heating in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
              This.

Oh dear. Recommend you look at a Vailant boiler. We got one with a 7 year warranty. I hear you can get a 10 year warranty if you need one when an offer is on.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Oh dear. Recommend you look at a Vailant boiler. We got one with a 7 year warranty. I hear you can get a 10 year warranty if you need one when an offer is on.
                I can't complain really. The boiler is 15 years old and other than an occasional service it has only needed 2 diaphragms and a PCB in that time.

Comment

Sorted and I am warm and clean again. Happy days

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    And lo! the less than ideal Ideal M3080 boiler has started displaying error codes.

A reset got it going at the moment.

I hold out little hope of the damn thing lasting much longer.

The quote from BG back in the summer for a replacement came to £3.5k.

Which sounds a tad excessive to me.

They saw you coming.

Comment

I too have an Ideal boiler & yes they have a bad rep as far as reliability.
                      I have a Homecare contract with British Gas (had it for years), & tbh honest it has saved me a fortune in potential bills over the years. I think the only part of my boiler which hasn't been replaced, under Homecare contract over the past 11 years, is the metal cabinet that the actual boiler sits in, so you can maybe imagine how much money it could have cost me for all the call outs/repairs?
                      Last edited by SteelyDan; 28 December 2016, 11:27.
                      Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                      X