• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud adoption by companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gables View Post
    Yup, the quote I heard was something like "it's still a datacentre"
    The point about security being - I'd trust Oracle (for example) to secure their data centers hosting SaaS applications far more than I would some tinpot in-house IT department. In fact just about any in-house IT department.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      The point about security being - I'd trust Oracle (for example) to secure their data centers hosting SaaS applications far more than I would some tinpot in-house IT department. In fact just about any in-house IT department.
      So presumably you'd not be a fan of private cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Yeah they will probably do a decent job at securing your data from 3rd parties, but who secures your data from Oracle?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Remember the cloud is just someone else's computer!
          It's not though is it? It's someone else's computerS
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's not though is it? It's someone else's computerS
            Prolly more like a slice of one huge computer!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.
              I know that Capital One (which is mainly a credit card company here, but is the eighth biggest consumer bank in the USA) is moving absolutely everything on to AWS; and one of their primary motivations is that Amazon is able to provide a level of security, with specific reference to the regulatory compliance aspects to which they are subject, that they determined was vastly superior to that they can provide for themselves, even though they already have an enormous amount of in-house expertise.

CapOne spent a couple of years looking into this, including lots of testing and exploratory projects, before making this decision.

Sources: I was contracting there when they threw the switch and started the ongoing process of moving their worldwide operations to AWS (and it led to my contract being terminated a couple of months early, much to my relief as I was fed up with the commute to Nottingham); and Werner Vogels, CTO and VP of Amazon, stated in his keynote address at the AWS Summit London last year (which I attended) that it was primarily the security and compliance benefits that made them commit to AWS.

Comment

Then Microsoft needs to pull its finger out...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My client co is moving almost everything to the cloud. Mostly AWS, all office stuff to 365 in Azure. Everything not going to these are being handed over to Wipro to manage. InfoSys manage access to the AWS infrastructure.

I'm being replaced by a robot, so I'm trying to compete on a level playing field.

Comment

Working...
                  X