• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not liking Windows 10 very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not liking Windows 10 very much

I'm probably a bit late to the party on this one, but I finally got round to building a new server with a view to having a more VM-orientated setup. To this end I got a Dell T20, 32Gb of non-ECC ram (for £99!) and a 500Gb Samsung SSD. Installed Windows 2012 R2 Server and VMWare Workstation Pro 12 with a view to this being a clean, base OS on which to host VMs.

First VM was a Windows 10 one which was to be my day to day Email, browsing, torrent, general day to day box, and this is where the problems began. What an absolute utter load of tulipe this OS is, or rather, the GUI is. All the fonts are massive and blurred, everything is monochrome and looks like it was designed for a six year old, can't be changed, I honestly can't work with it. It's worse than Windows 3.1.

What have others done? Got used to it? Gone back to W7 or another OS? Am very tempted to just stand up a Windows 7 one again as I could use that, I've not got the time to learn Ubuntu or whatever. :/

Interested in any pointers or what others VM setup is.
    Last edited by rl4engc; 26 January 2017, 08:52.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Windows 10 is fine operating system, privacy and forced updates aside.

Monochrome and large fonts, sounds like a problem rather than the default state. I'm wondering if its anything to do with the Ease of Access settings. On windows 10 search bar, type in Ease of Access and select Ease of Access Center. Have a look at the settings and hotkeys, perhaps you have mistakenly set the high contrast theme.

The size of the fonts can be changed by right-clicking on desktop and selecting display settings. Should be a slider.

Comment

I'll try the Ease of Access settings Cheers. By the way I'm running the "LTSB" build (Long Time Service Branch) I specifically installed this as I thought it would just give me the basic W10 without any of the tulipe e.g. Cortana, updates every 3 minutes etc.

By monochrome I mean e.g. the start bar is black, with invisible buttons except for the active windows and I think they're just underlined (from memory, not in front of it at the mo).

I've tried all the display/DPI type settings but it seems I can't just say "Use Arial 8 as the main font" so scrolling through any settings in Control Panel is like browing a web page with a e.g. size 16 font for heading text. Everything looks like it's been designed to be used by a tablet user with sausage fingers, which isn't appropriate on a high res server.
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
        I'll try the Ease of Access settings Cheers. By the way I'm running the "LTSB" build (Long Time Service Branch) I specifically installed this as I thought it would just give me the basic W10 without any of the tulipe e.g. Cortana, updates every 3 minutes etc.

By monochrome I mean e.g. the start bar is black, with invisible buttons except for the active windows and I think they're just underlined (from memory, not in front of it at the mo).

I've tried all the display/DPI type settings but it seems I can't just say "Use Arial 8 as the main font" so scrolling through any settings in Control Panel is like browing a web page with a e.g. size 16 font for heading text. Everything looks like it's been designed to be used by a tablet user with sausage fingers, which isn't appropriate on a high res server.
        Interesting, I didn't know about the LTSB build version. Sorry I don't have any experience of this version but I might download and knock up a VM later on, thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Interesting, I didn't know about the LTSB build version. Sorry I don't have any experience of this version but I might download and knock up a VM later on, thanks for the info.
          Yeh it's designed for things like ATMs, touch consoles, etc. I.e. it gets critical security updates but nothing else (that's the theory anyway).

Comment

Windows 10 does "clever" things when it comes to DPI settings, so it sounds to me like that's entirely screwed up. My laptop has a 4K (ish) screen with a 1080p external monitor, and despite it claiming to handle different DPIs on each monitor it never entirely works and I end up with blurry text, or sometimes comically large toolbar buttons, or tiny tiny tooltips that are impossible to see. In the end I had to set the laptop screen to a non-native 1080p ish resolution to make the system usable.

I also found the changes only properly take when you log off/on, or reboot. So I'd suggest set the font scaling to 100% and log off/on and see if that's better.

Otherwise it's fine. Though it trying to sell me Office does piss me off.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Otherwise it's fine. Though it trying to sell me Office does piss me off.
              Definitely this...

Sadly I've also got it on a Dell and their thinking that pressing 'Do not remind me again' about making recovery media means you can remind me again every 2 days is doing my f***g nut in.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                looks like it was designed for a six year old,
                100%. I found the whole interface childish. Fine for a Windows phone (which I use), but not desktop. Plus the OS kept cutting off wifi (it thought I was in flight mode...on a desktop, sheesh). And then the jaggedy fonts. A Metro font that was designed for tablets and smartphones, but MS didn't put the time into making the resolution workable for desktops. Still no fix, despite tons of complaints on the net. There were other issues but I cannot remember now. I rolled back to W7 Pro, and they're not gonna prise my bony fingers off it.
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                  100%. I found the whole interface childish. Fine for a Windows phone (which I use), but not desktop. Plus the OS kept cutting off wifi (it thought I was in flight mode...on a desktop, sheesh). And then the jaggedy fonts. A Metro font that was designed for tablets and smartphones, but MS didn't put the time into making the resolution workable for desktops. Still no fix, despite tons of complaints on the net. There were other issues but I cannot remember now. I rolled back to W7 Pro, and they're not gonna prise my bony fingers off it.
                  mmm strange, running on a 3 monitor setup, 1 running at 3840x2160, other running at 1920 x 1080 and other running at 1920x1200 - all looks good. Running on surface book and also fine.

Out of interest whats your setup?

Comment

I installed the LTSB build version in a VM - did initially have some issues with resolution. In my case I added a RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter and set the max res there.

It does have a black task bar but its pretty much the same as my normal windows 10. The font does look a little big say when opening settings windows but not stupidly so. The font doesn't look smooth.

After playing around with it I've had a few issues with pink and blue pixel blocking around icons and links, rebooting seemed to sort it.

Now trying to think of use for the VM

Comment

Working...
                    X