• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website building for total idiots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website building for total idiots

Slightly diff. question to other recent website threads. My sister wants to set up a small website and there's no way I am getting involved again in providing websites for **** relatives! Phone calls every other day, can you just ....?

What's the simplest website builder for a total (from a technical viewpoint) idiot? No way she could cope with Wordpress etc. It needs to be the simplest possible drag and drop. She wants to upload her own pretty pictures and add some text. It needs to allow email but there's no shopping carts, comments, logins or other complicated stuff.

PS Yet. Until she changes her mind in 2 days time.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

wix.com
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

https://www.squarespace.com/
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Slightly diff. question to other recent website threads. My sister wants to set up a small website and there's no way I am getting involved again in providing websites for **** relatives! Phone calls every other day, can you just ....?

What's the simplest website builder for a total (from a technical viewpoint) idiot? No way she could cope with Wordpress etc. It needs to be the simplest possible drag and drop. She wants to upload her own pretty pictures and add some text. It needs to allow email but there's no shopping carts, comments, logins or other complicated stuff.

PS Yet. Until she changes her mind in 2 days time.

for what you describe, the solution you say she couldn't handle is by far the best one.

Wordpress with the Disable Comments plug in and all the widgets removed. After that, log in, write text, add photo, publish, done.....
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a website, just setup a Facebook page for whatever it is she is doing, unless your actually selling a product I don't see the need for a website anymore

Comment

Have a look at Freeola.com and their associated domain registration services. They have a very basic site builder that even I can use...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              I wouldn't bother with a website, just setup a Facebook page for whatever it is she is doing, unless your actually selling a product I don't see the need for a website anymore
              WSPS

Websites are overkill for most small businesses these days. It depends on your target market but most potential customers spend most of their time on Facebook anyway.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Some good ideas there ta!

PS Never thought of using Fartbook, not being a user myself.
                PPS Do have a business FB page so visited for first time in years and found it had no cover. Uploaded an image of correct size and it appeared far too big, FB doesn't automatically resize??? Sure I'll figure out what the problem is (if I can be ar*ed) but can't imagine the sister could get it to work. Cue another phone call, can you just...?
                Last edited by xoggoth; 26 January 2017, 14:37.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

+1 for not getting involved. For years to come you will be blamed as the person who messed up her website, broke her washing machine and brexit.

Comment

Some good ideas there ta!

PS Never thought of using Fartbook, not being a user myself.
                    PPS Do have a business FB page so visited for first time in years and found it had no cover. Uploaded an image of correct size and it appeared far too big, FB doesn't automatically resize??? Sure I'll figure out what the problem is (if I can be ar*ed) but can't imagine the sister could get it to work. Cue another phone call, can you just...?
                    If she really is totally useless with tech then Facebook is definitely the way to go, lets face it if the world and her granny Can work it, and if she can't her mates can and her kids can, it's all drag an drop and you got instant messaging rather than email.

Does it need to be a business page, unless she is selling you can just have normal account.

Comment

Working...
                    X