• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A VM Strategy for the Home Environment. :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Got a cheap tablet, but it's more for her professional qualification stuff so you need a desk and a keyboard.
    Tablet, keyboard and VNC/RDP to a VM
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

A bit late to the party, but why on earth would you put an expensive, inferior, type 2 hypervisor - VMWare workstation on top of Server 2012R2 with built in superior type 1, free(already paid for) hypervisor - Hyper-V?

The solution to your problem of providing desktop experience for the mrs. is to just let her login to the Server 2012 host and RDP to a VM running desktop OS of choice. It's an awful setup tho, you could have bought her a laptop for the price of the VMWare workstation license.

On as side note HP Gen.8 Microserver is far better than Dell T20 - same price bracket, but it has 2x1Gbit NICs and iLO and is 1/3 of the size

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        A bit late to the party, but why on earth would you put an expensive, inferior, type 2 hypervisor - VMWare workstation on top of Server 2012R2 with built in superior type 1, free(already paid for) hypervisor - Hyper-V?

The solution to your problem of providing desktop experience for the mrs. is to just let her login to the Server 2012 host and RDP to a VM running desktop OS of choice. It's an awful setup tho, you could have bought her a laptop for the price of the VMWare workstation license.

On as side note HP Gen.8 Microserver is far better than Dell T20 - same price bracket, but it has 2x1Gbit NICs and iLO and is 1/3 of the size
        When I looked into Hyper V it became apparent that it didn't have a GUI, so all the admin of it had to be done by remote management tools or Power Shell. No thanks.

The T20 only cost me a couple of hundred with the cashback deal, and has dual quad code Xeons that pack a punch. Filled it with 32Gb of desktop memory for £100 so jobs a good'un. No it's not ECC, can I tell the difference? No.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
          When I looked into Hyper V it became apparent that it didn't have a GUI, so all the admin of it had to be done by remote management tools or Power Shell. No thanks.

The T20 only cost me a couple of hundred with the cashback deal, and has dual quad code Xeons that pack a punch. Filled it with 32Gb of desktop memory for £100 so jobs a good'un. No it's not ECC, can I tell the difference? No.
          I guess you don't realise that the paid for Server 2012 R2 Standard/Essentials/Datacenter with GUI has Hyper-V build-in that can be enabled from "Roles and features", so you have both hypervisor and GUI. What you're talking about is the free Hyper-V server that indeed has no GUI.

Are you sure it's a T20 you have, amazed how you managed to cram dual CPU in single CPU Motherboard

Comment

Working...
          X