• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Curved Televisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curved Televisions

I'm going to be looking for a new television fairly soon. I see quite a few manufacturers are doing them with curved screens. What is the point of this? Does it somehow increase the picture quality? Does room size affect whether you should go for flat or curved?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I'm going to be looking for a new television fairly soon. I see quite a few manufacturers are doing them with curved screens. What is the point of this? Does it somehow increase the picture quality? Does room size affect whether you should go for flat or curved?

Thanks.
    I think the curved thing is a bit of a fad but might have some good advice for you when looking.

I was looking at Samsung TVs and at a curved screen that was about £900 -I was itching to buy it, Series 6 blah blah and the guy in Curries pointed me towards an end of the line Series 5 that was on offer. Same screen size and flat but £400 cheaper. He explained that as the year progresses Samsung release new versions with the latest in the year being the best. Then they start a new year with a new series maybe but the ones in Jan aren't as good as the later ones. So a later model in 2015 would be better than an early model 2016.

Not sure if it applies to the other brands.

So I ended up with an awesome 4K tv and saved a few quid as well. He wasn't wrong as the quality was really good.

I'd go for 4K over curved as well.

Comment

Its a fad, it's going to go the same way as 3D, go for a flat OLED 4K

Comment

IMO it's a gimmick, aimed at people who are after the latest "fashion". Instead of immersion they are distorting the picture - just like the old CRTs did. It might be possible to eliminate the distortion if you sit in the focal point of the curve, but that's not really practical and highly unlikely in a real world scenario.

Personally I don't like them, but it's better to go to a large store like curry's and experience it for yourself.

The the extra money for the curved screen are much better spent on 4K and/or OLED as both have noticeable improvement on the picture quality.

Comment

I bought a 27" curved monitor on a whim, drives me mad.....

Comment

I had the same question.
            The link below could be interesting for you.

Curved TVs: The Pros and Cons

Comment

Maybe ok if you're putting in a corner, but on the wall it'll look a bit cack. As others have said either just save the money or look at 4k\oled

Comment

I think for viewing experience it's a gimmick unless you want a dedicated TV room where only one or two people ever sit in the perfect 'sweet spot' based on the curvature and implied radius of the TV.

That said if you think it looks nicer and suits your room, design IS a factor when putting a 40+" object somewhere everyone will see.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X