• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car trackers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car trackers

Been a few thefts in the area of high powered/newer vehicles, and looking a newer motor from John tomorrow, so def considering a car tracker.

Any bloody good? (Obvs you don't fully know how good one is until if and when you get your car back after being stolen. )

Been reading about Thatcham Cat 5, 6 , 7? Does it make your insurance premium much cheapness?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Been a few thefts in the area of high powered/newer vehicles, and looking a newer motor from John tomorrow, so def considering a car tracker.

Any bloody good? (Obvs you don't fully know how good one is until if and when you get your car back after being stolen. )

Been reading about Thatcham Cat 5, 6 , 7? Does it make your insurance premium much cheapness?

qh
    Maybe consider buying a lower-powered, older vehicle and avoid the theft in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Maybe consider buying a lower-powered, older vehicle and avoid the theft in the first place?
      Oh you're a wheez!

qh

Comment

I think most insurance companies will require you to have a tracker. Its difficult to tell if it will make difference to your premium anyway since they will not insure you without it in the 1st place

Last time I had a tracker you had an option for a yearly subscription or one off lifetime payment.

The tech in today's cars is exactly what makes them so easy to steal and a tracker will certainly not stop a determined thief.

I will 'almost' say get the cheapest category needed for insurance purposes and hope your car is not found or is beyond economic repair if stolen.

Comment

I remember 10 years or so ago trackers were all the rage in performance car circles, but for me anyway there always seemed to be just as many insurers who would insure you without for no more money, and so I never bothered. The police are not going to scramble a squadron of helicopters to track down your stolen Golf, and many cars are either stolen to order and rapidly shipped out of the country or stripped for parts, so really a tracker doesn't guarantee anything. Even if you do get it back without being damaged you'll forever be wondering what the thieves might have done with/in the car.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Well being a contractor I have a team of armed ex SAS chaps to protect my fleet of exotica but you know, just adding some extra protection.

qh

Comment

Having paid for all those ex-SAS experts, you'll need something cheaper. Don't forget to switch the volume to mute with no vibrate.

How To: Create A Car GPS Tracker From An Old iPhone - Tech on the Go

Comment

I use one from https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/gps...acking-devices

102-Nano
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I reckon the best way to reduce your car insurance is to keep the car in a garage overnight.

The insurance on my 911 (kept in the garage) is £100 cheaper than the Mrs 2008 Toyota Lancruiser kept on the drive and thats on a multi-car insurance policy with Admiral.

I stopped the tracker on the 911 since it made no difference to the insurance really - as someone said these cars are stolen to order - if it;s not being driven the car is locked in the garage out of sight...

where I live they come off the M25 - scout around for cars, find one they like and then break into the house at night (whilst you're sleeping) pinch the car and load it into a waiting lorry container and then it's on its way to Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
                    I reckon the best way to reduce your car insurance is to keep the car in a garage overnight.

The insurance on my 911 (kept in the garage) is £100 cheaper than the Mrs 2008 Toyota Lancruiser kept on the drive and thats on a multi-car insurance policy with Admiral.

I stopped the tracker on the 911 since it made no difference to the insurance really - as someone said these cars are stolen to order - if it;s not being driven the car is locked in the garage out of sight...

where I live they come off the M25 - scout around for cars, find one they like and then break into the house at night (whilst you're sleeping) pinch the car and load it into a waiting lorry container and then it's on its way to Russia.
                    Depends on the postcode where you live.

In one area of London I use to live it was cheaper for me to park my car on the road than in a garage. The reason was due to the old gits who had accidents with garage doors.

In addition it's harder to work out whose car it is when it's parked on the road. I know people who have been burgled and only their car keys plus car have gone missing. Their cars where on their drives.

Where I live now a garage is cheaper but car insurance is cheaper here anyway regardless of where you park.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X