• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good business laptop for under £600?

What do you NEED? (Not "What do you want?")
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No.

A good business laptop was >£2,000 because FRPS but I guess that is history. To me, a good business laptop will support multiple VMs, several versions of SQL Server, Docker etc.

I would avoid Lenovo because I'm still going through a process which started last November to get a device fixed, received a quote and paid for the repair but have had to send repeated emails to get it progressed. Latest is that they offered a specific model as a replacement (think they have lost it) which I accepted only for them to deliver a totally different device which as android rather than Windows and a tablet rather than a laptop. I love their hardware but I'll never buy from them again.

Comment

£600 is toy laptop territory.

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
          Can anyone recommend a good business laptop for under £600?

No problem with Lenovo here. I had a couple of really crappy new Dell's which had so many issues. In frustration I did some research via web & other contractors. Ended up buying a second hand Lenovo Thinkpad t420 i5 2520M with 8gb of ram.

Integrated Wi-Fi wireless connectivity.
          Integrated 3G wireless connectivity.
          Integrated webcam.
          Integrated SD memory card slot.
          Connectors: 3x USB, ethernet, eSATA, D-Sub, headphones, Display Port.
          Cosmetic condition is good, with some marks.
          Windows 7 PRO 64-bit .

Well it has been flawless.
          Battery it came with lasts more than 5 hours too.

This machine seems bullet proof to me. Also really flying along now with a mSATA 256gb SSD drive + the 500gb hdd it came with.

And the grand finale is it was £160, and in very reasonable condition. Maybe a lucky buy, maybe others have had a different experience.

Another contractor had a new Lenovo i7 with an excellent spec, but the build quality of the keyboard and case were so poor compared to this older t420.

The t520 i5 with the 15inch screen has excellent reviews too.
          Last edited by Hugh Jardon; 31 May 2017, 00:43.
          “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            £600 is toy laptop territory.
            £600 is roughly what I paid for the twin's Dell Latitudes. Its achievable ex vat via Dell outlet Dell Factory Outlet

Just a matter of what you want to compromise on processor, memory, hard disk - you may get one rather than an ssd or screen resolution.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Spent around 3K on a Lenovo 4 years ago.

Still cannot fault it.

Won't ever buy a cheap machine again
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

My old Asus died last week and I just got HP Envy 13-ab008na Laptop... but am not doing any development work anymore, just need it for company paperwork etc.

If you are doing dev work, go for high spec dell.

Comment

A year or so ago I spent £750 on a 2 year old Dell M3800 from Ebay, that would have been over £2K new. Was still under warranty too (maybe not now). That's i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 15" 4K screen - very nice laptop that I'm using right now.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I would up your budget to around £800 and go for a Lenovo X240, and pay the extra for an extended battery, the simple pleasures of having a laptop with a 10 hour battery life is exquisite
                    Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Working...
                    X