• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband Alternative

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I use satellite broadband in Spain, it's painfully slow, very unreliable and to be avoided at all costs (we have no option unfortunately as we live in a mountain)
    Is the satellite dish outside the cave entrance?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the files are large and you have to open them locally then save them to the client's network then you need to worry as much about the upload speed as the download speed. Many home solutions offer quick download speed but relatively slow upload.

So I'd go with Stek's suggestion and make sure the client hosts the files and you only need to remote access them using remote desktop/VDI style solutions, or even remoting into an office PC based at the client. I've done both in the past and even a PAYG 3g dongle was good enough as the RDP client only sipped data to present the video (compressed by only requiring changes per frame) and keyboard/mouse interaction. If I remember right it used under 100MB per normal 8 hour working day.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        If the files are large and you have to open them locally then save them to the client's network then you need to worry as much about the upload speed as the download speed. Many home solutions offer quick download speed but relatively slow upload.

So I'd go with Stek's suggestion and make sure the client hosts the files and you only need to remote access them using remote desktop/VDI style solutions, or even remoting into an office PC based at the client. I've done both in the past and even a PAYG 3g dongle was good enough as the RDP client only sipped data to present the video (compressed by only requiring changes per frame) and keyboard/mouse interaction. If I remember right it used under 100MB per normal 8 hour working day.
        Of course the king of all this were the now discontinued Sun SunRays UTT's (Ultra-Thin Terminals) all that was sent over the wire were the pixel changes, the graphics done on the server in a virtual framebuffer. Worked with VDI too, Windows fine.

Not easy to setup over broadband, effectively you need a dedicated one or just not have any normal access on the existing one.

Used Smartcards, pull it out, fly to USA or any other office in the company using SRSS, smartcard in, session pops up there exactly as you left it....

Great tech, Oracle dropped it....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Great tech, Oracle dropped it....

Probably because most of that is now handled by virtual software and without all the setting up hassle.

Even M$'s RDP solution is pretty good out of the box. Can close the window without logging off and the session will usually still be running next time you log on so can pick up where you left off.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Of course if he's using some 3d modelling software it probably won't work well if it all over RDP.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X