• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows laptop suggestions - circa £500

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows laptop suggestions - circa £500

Hi

Just landed a second contract for ad hoc work that requires me to supply my own windows laptop.

I'm a mac person and haven't bought a windows laptop in nearly 20 years. I do not want to buy a mac and install windows on it and the VPN tech apparently doesn't work through a virtual machine.

Key requirements is its not too slow

I'd prefer a 17 inch screen but willgo for a 15.6 if I have to

Won't be used for anything other than web browsing, SAP GUI, office 365 - my normal kit will be used for anything outside of this.

Is this one any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-17-ak023...laptop+17+inch

Any (sensible) suggestions appreciated.......

I'd go with an intel chip, personally, - get an i7 or whatever the last latest is.
    AMD systems sometimes have problems with drivers if you install other stuff/ customise.
    Acer are pretty good, - i've had one for 6 years, had no trouble.

Comment

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...64429-pdt.html

(Then get your 7% off if you're an IPSE member)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've also had Acers that have lasted well. When I was just buying privately, I'd go to Tesco and buy whatever they had on offer, e.g.
        https://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-17...skuId=773-0961
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Dell Outlet:

Refurbished Laptops, Desktops & Servers|Dell Outlet UK

had my last 2 from them

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...64429-pdt.html

(Then get your 7% off if you're an IPSE member)
            I don’t know much about lower laptops but has that machine got any redeeming features, you would need an ssd and additional memory.

Dell outlet would be my suggestion every laptop in the past 15 years that isn’t a Mac came from there including 5 in the last year (children and friends). buy based on screen and processor as with the larger machines memory and hard disk can be replaced. XP’s has soldered memory so don’t go for those
            Last edited by eek; 13 December 2017, 06:23.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Avoid 4GB RAM and mechanical hard drives. It will be slow.

I'd suggest something like this - Intel i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 15.6" FHD non glare screen.
              HP 250 G5 i5

It also has HDMI and VGA video ports if you find you can bag a decent monitor once you get to clientco!

Comment

just bought a dell off of Microsoft site....£550, but £50 cash back.

i5 (7th series), 8gb, 256gb SSD, full HD screen.

Wife loves it....it was for her....I don't like the trackpad.

Comment

Whatever you get try and get separate SSDs and us one (I have a M.2 256GB) to boot OS from.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Why can't you just run a windows emulator on your mac? Parallels etc?
                    World's Best Martini

Comment

Working...
                    X