• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best FREE VPN?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SimonMac:

ToR is as secure as they come. The weaknesses refer to large parties (governments, intelligence agencies) who are able to correlate traffic end to end. Even with this ability - which the USA possesses in some areas, thanks to the NSA and even more info from GCHQ (worse than NSA). You cannot do better than this at this time, short of using paper with someone in a room together.

For banking, email without encryption, use clear-net carriers or a VPN to the UK if you are abroad. I would add Facebook and Twitter into this too, because those are linked to you and you may not trust your VPN provider, as MITM (man in the middle) attacks can develop and target you over a long time.

For daily browsing of personal websites that do not involve you identifying yourself - or, create dummy accounts, you can use a VPN to multiple countries that are not the FiveEyes countries of USA, Canada, UK, Netherlands/Germany, New Zealand. In reality we can add in Australia, most of Western Europe and ex-British colonies.

For browsing newspapers, websites for your own information purposes or to inform you, do not use the clearnet. Use ToR browser or better yet Tails booted from USB drive. You can set up bridges if you do not wish the traffic to be uniquely identified as 'ToR' traffic by your ISP. If you wish to send encrypted emails through a trusted service then Tails sends all traffic through ToR as default.

The simple fact is many methods for accessing websites are required in order to enhance your privacy. ToR and Tails should be the default choice for IT professionals.

It is very well to avoid your UK and USA intelligence agencies knowing your political, IT, sexuality and other personal points of view, but please keep in the forefront of your mind that rogue VPN owners may also want to profile your traffic. Separate your activities on the internet using these methods and you will be more secure.

I posted advice regarding browser and open source addons to enhance your privacy in this thread in Technical:

https://forums.contractoruk.com/tech...8-adblock.html

Comment

Windscribe is a good one I heard.

Comment

Not sure I would use a free vpn, so here is a list of paid vpns and reviews.

https://www.cnet.com/best-vpn-services-directory/

Comment

Originally posted by jettison7 View Post
          the FiveEyes countries of USA, Canada, UK, Netherlands/Germany, New Zealand.

FiveEyes consists of UK, USA, Canada, Australia, NZ.

Comment

Cyberghost is worth a try.

Comment

I know you're looking for a free one, but I use Astrill, it's not free but its cheap and it's so simple to use.

Comment

Working...
              X