• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap/Best Value VM host

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap/Best Value VM host

I have a few VM's running on my Mac Mini, but want to hive them off onto a dedicated machine so looking for recommendations for a cheapish (it's being paid for out of my pocket rather than MyCo) setup, the storage component will be handled by my existing NAS, ideally I'd like something I can start cheapish with and add more CPU/RAM as and when I consume it

Would this be overkill?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Powe...4AAOSwyi9aJmWP
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Also, those who have a "SOHO server farm" where do you put your kit? Will it be too cold in the garage, by the same ilk does it get too warm in the summer?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Power consumption on that thing is going to be pretty high. Server PSU's are far more wasteful than consumer PSU's.

You could probably build a pretty cheap host in a regular ATX case with a normal PSU - find a mobo with SD boot and stick ESXi on an extreme SD card. You then also don't have to worry about acoustics and can shove it under your desk / in a cupboard / keep it in the house. You get the gist.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
        Power consumption on that thing is going to be pretty high. Server PSU's are far more wasteful than consumer PSU's.

You could probably build a pretty cheap host in a regular ATX case with a normal PSU - find a mobo with SD boot and stick ESXi on an extreme SD card. You then also don't have to worry about acoustics and can shove it under your desk / in a cupboard / keep it in the house. You get the gist.
        The first part is false, most server PSUs are gold/platinum rated with 90%+ efficiency. Low/mid range consumer PSUs are lees than that. The higher consumption is caused by cooling profiles running fans on max and CPUs being old generations and power hungry.

Agree with the second part.

The server in the OP link is garbage, CPUs are circa 2009, performance wise they are slightly better than a modern Celeron. No HDD caddies mean you will have to pay extra to fit in HDDs

Rack mounted servers are not suitable for keeping at home, unless you have a basement/garage to keep the noise away.

Either built your own desktop, look for more modern 2nd hand Workstation or new value tower server like HPE ML10 / Dell T10/T20

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          The first part is false, most server PSUs are gold/platinum rated with 90%+ efficiency. Low/mid range consumer PSUs are lees than that. The higher consumption is caused by cooling profiles running fans on max and CPUs being old generations and power hungry.

Agree with the second part.

The server in the OP link is garbage, CPUs are circa 2009, performance wise they are slightly better than a modern Celeron. No HDD caddies mean you will have to pay extra to fit in HDDs

Rack mounted servers are not suitable for keeping at home, unless you have a basement/garage to keep the noise away.

Either built your own desktop, look for more modern 2nd hand Workstation or new value tower server like HPE ML10 / Dell T10/T20
          See the second point about keeping it in the garage

I know I will need caddies, quick google fu says they can be picked up for ~£10, I have some WD RED 2TB drives that I was planning on sticking in there, a small cabinet and I have something better than the MacMini I have at the moment, I will be running very small linux VM's (1 cpu 2-4gb RAM) maybe 4 at most, don't need anything to set the world on fire (although not setting the garage on fire would be a bonus)

Comment

Something like:

https://www.serversdirect.co.uk/p/11...l-300w-1yr-nbd

?

I use a couple of LeNovo TS140s, sometimes Dell/LeNovo/HP do massive cashbacks on entry level servers. If you're running VMs, you're bound to be way more constrained by RAM than CPU.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              See the second point about keeping it in the garage

I know I will need caddies, quick google fu says they can be picked up for ~£10, I have some WD RED 2TB drives that I was planning on sticking in there, a small cabinet and I have something better than the MacMini I have at the moment, I will be running very small linux VM's (1 cpu 2-4gb RAM) maybe 4 at most, don't need anything to set the world on fire (although not setting the garage on fire would be a bonus)
              https://www.ebuyer.com/775196-dell-p...-tower-30-0265
              +
              null CT11003225 | PowerEdge T30 | Crucial UK

=£569 same specs but + 1TB HDD extra, silent, modern, easily upgradable and with NBD warranty

With the garage you are likely to have bigger problems with humidity than temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                https://www.ebuyer.com/775196-dell-p...-tower-30-0265
                +
                null CT11003225 | PowerEdge T30 | Crucial UK

=£569 same specs but + 1TB HDD extra, silent, modern, easily upgradable and with NBD warranty

With the garage you are likely to have bigger problems with humidity than temperature.
                And three times the price!

As I said if it's going to be anything, it's going to be a cheap POC rather than throwing any real money at it

Comment

And three times the price!

As I said if it's going to be anything, it's going to be a cheap POC rather than throwing any real money at it
                  It's your money, if you want to burn them on an old shed and leecy bill it's your decision to make.

Comment

I have a few VM's running on my Mac Mini, but want to hive them off onto a dedicated machine so looking for recommendations for a cheapish (it's being paid for out of my pocket rather than MyCo) setup, the storage component will be handled by my existing NAS, ideally I'd like something I can start cheapish with and add more CPU/RAM as and when I consume it

Would this be overkill?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Powe...4AAOSwyi9aJmWP

Just wondering why you want to run it on something else?

I have the 2012 i7 quad core macmini server with a couple of vm's + my plex server. It has 16GB ram 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD. I decided not to upgrade to something else when I used smart energy monitor to check its power consumption. It has to be one of the most efficient small form PC's around pulling around 15w under average load. Total consumption for Last 30 days is 11.2kwh compared 22.1kwh on my (slow marvel processor) Synology NAS which is hardly accessed.

Comment

Working...
                    X