• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic coding and git commands on an iPad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic coding and git commands on an iPad

Following on from my foray into Dec work, a lot of the time I have my iPad with me rather than my MacBook, especially when I am away from home.

I could ssh from the iPad to a server and make any light coding changes through something like VIM but I like using a proper text editor, especially the one that make certain text/key words/variables go a different colour (hey I'm not a pro so any help I can get is gratefully received).

I have CI and auto deployment set up from GitHub, so it's just getting the stuff in there that I'd like to do on the iPad, firstly is this practical? I know it's possible with the likes of [url=http://workingcopyapp.com]Working Copy[/img] but am I trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't really need, or should I just KISS and doing it through SSH given A) it's not billable (yet) and it's only very minor code work
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Following on from my foray into Dec work, a lot of the time I have my iPad with me rather than my MacBook, especially when I am away from home.

I could ssh from the iPad to a server and make any light coding changes through something like VIM but I like using a proper text editor, especially the one that make certain text/key words/variables go a different colour (hey I'm not a pro so any help I can get is gratefully received).

I have CI and auto deployment set up from GitHub, so it's just getting the stuff in there that I'd like to do on the iPad, firstly is this practical? I know it's possible with the likes of [url=http://workingcopyapp.com]Working Copy[/img] but am I trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't really need, or should I just KISS and doing it through SSH given A) it's not billable (yet) and it's only very minor code work

Personally I'd keep it even simpler and just take the mac book with me.

I thought about doing dev on a tablet once to save space on a short trip, realised that by the time I'd packed the tablet a mouse and Keyboard that I was carrying more than if I just took my laptop.

Comment

I have tried to develop of Apple devices and its a waste if time. There's just too many complications in terms of connections an synchronising. I just gave up and stuck to my PC or laptop runningg Windows

Comment

Originally posted by aircon View Post
        I have tried to develop of Apple devices and its a waste if time. There's just too many complications in terms of connections an synchronising. I just gave up and stuck to my PC or laptop runningg Windows
        Eh?

Comment

I did once look at doing my Android apps for Apple but I all seemed expensive and restrictive.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

through something like VIM but I like using a proper text editor
            dude, vim is a proper text editor

Comment

Not worth it to be doing any real Dev on an iPad.

Just take your MacBook. I find the 13” Pro an ideal size for travelling with.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                dude, vim is a proper text editor
                vi is, vim is too fancy for me......

Comment

I could ssh from the iPad to a server and make any light coding changes through something like VIM but I like using a proper text editor, especially the one that make certain text/key words/variables go a different colour
                  *Literally* the first hit when googling "vim syntax highlighting" https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/turn-o...-in-vi-or-vim/

But seriously, I tried this (and I always use vi anyway) and gave up. It's too much of a pain. I just took the laptop.

Comment

Working...
                  X