• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clone a Mac Book Pro HDD to a SSD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clone a Mac Book Pro HDD to a SSD?

My son wants his Mac Book Pro HDD upgrading to an SSD (around 2013 vintage, i7 CPU, 8Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD). I already did the HDD > SSD swap recently on a very similar Win 10 machine using Crucial's flavour of Acronis software that simply worked a treat. But it doesn't (I do not think) work on a Mac. Researching about how to clone a Mac Book Pro drive pointed me towards an application called Carbon Copy. I "think" reading about it, it was Freeware, but when I look at it there are now charges for it. I don't really want a paid for application to a one time only job. So, does anyone have any advice for me out there in CUK/Apple land at all please on how to do this HDD cloning job? Thanks.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

I just used Time Machine.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Or Super-Duper

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        This, quickest and easiest way to do it.

Also free and comes as part of MacOS.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

+1 for Time machine - backup done right.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            +1
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks all. You make a bootable clone with Time Machine? Didn't know that. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks all, I used a Crucial SSD and downloaded Super Duper to do the cloning. The hardest part of the HDD to SSD upgrade was getting a small enough (size 00) screw driver to remove the screws and get the back off the MBP. Given that the MBP in question was pretty much a top line i7 jobby, one of the last before SSD's came in, the SSD upgrade has transformed this MBP and will extend the life of it by several years, I think. A simple "must do" upgrade this one, I think.

Comment

I'm a bit slow to the party, but Time Machine does it perfectly:
                  https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

My company's old MBP from 2011 had a 512GB SSD in it, and if we'd kept it, I would have upgraded to something a bit bigger.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Adding to this - the weirdness happening to my MBP may well be due to a problem with the SSD. They did say that SSDs don't last forever and this one has lasted 6 years.

But I got the MBP in April 2012 and I'm worried about spending > £200 on a replacement SSD only for Apple to stop supporting MBP 2011's.

Is it worth the gamble, or do I just buy a new PC?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X