• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AdBlock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Sorry, not convinced by Firefox - Mozilla has taken over 1 billion dollars from Google.
    So something that you can download the source code and see what it actually does to something proprietary or do you disassemble the Safari binaries?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      So something that you can download the source code and see what it actually does to something proprietary or do you disassemble the Safari binaries?
      I rely on others who I know and trust. And I don’tknow or trust him.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by jettison7 View Post
        A lot of what I am reading here is incorrect advice. I am a programmer and the Safari ecosystem for Add-Ons and privacy is rubbish. Do not use Safari if you value your privacy.

To test how identifiable your web-browser is, prior to my below instructions, run the test on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's website:

https:// pan optic lick.eff.org
        Your link is rather hilariously coming back with results, obviously aimed at US business support.

Safari fails on one of the tests because it continues to block 3rd parties that promise to honor(sp) Do Not Track.

So, it's a failure for actually ad-blocking. How about finding a less biased one, maybe one that isn't paid off by businesses and is actually interested in protecting individuals.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by jettison7 View Post
          A lot of what I am reading here is incorrect advice. I am a programmer and the Safari ecosystem for Add-Ons and privacy is rubbish. Do not use Safari if you value your privacy.
          Thanks for replying, but in truth I wasn't concerned about privacy, I was asking about being able to see content on websites that say "i notice you're using an ad-blocker, please whitelist us to view content". I find this very irritating! I was looking for an ad-blocker that fools the ad-blocker detectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Thanks for replying, but in truth I wasn't concerned about privacy, I was asking about being able to see content on websites that say "i notice you're using an ad-blocker, please whitelist us to view content". I find this very irritating! I was looking for an ad-blocker that fools the ad-blocker detectors.
            What you need is a browser that still downloads the ads but doesn’t render them visible.

Have a look at Lynx browser. One of the best IMO
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I had a humongous hosts file with all known ad site ips pointed at loopback. Worked a treat

Comment

Noticed this week that Sky News (UK front page) won't load due to default firefox settings identifying embedded trackers.

Comment

NoScript works a treat for me on Firefox. I allow the sites I like and if others don't want me to play then I won't. So far, absolutely nothing that I would miss gets huffy with me for hard-line NoScript. I was sent a link to BoredPanda last week and they block me, my life won't end for not being able to see a website of clickbait.

The frustrating thing is that I don't really mind adverts. Banner ads, side panel ads and so on that don't thrust themselves all over the content I'm trying to read would be fine for me, I'm not one of these no-advert puritans. I've even clicked on an advert or two in the past. As soon as the advert goes over the content though, or tries to launch pop-ups then the ad provider joins my noscript blacklist.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                    NoScript works a treat for me on Firefox. I allow the sites I like and if others don't want me to play then I won't. So far, absolutely nothing that I would miss gets huffy with me for hard-line NoScript. I was sent a link to BoredPanda last week and they block me, my life won't end for not being able to see a website of clickbait.

The frustrating thing is that I don't really mind adverts. Banner ads, side panel ads and so on that don't thrust themselves all over the content I'm trying to read would be fine for me, I'm not one of these no-advert puritans. I've even clicked on an advert or two in the past. As soon as the advert goes over the content though, or tries to launch pop-ups then the ad provider joins my noscript blacklist.

I go with jettison7's idea.

Don't use Adblock plus because they partner with certain paying companies to allow some adverts to be shown to you. If you install ublock for Firefox you can easily add the "Adblock warning removal" filter list. For most websites you won't be blocked and won't see any mention that they are aware you are using an ad blocker. UBlock will do what you are asking for.

AdGuard is free on IOS is also very good and works well for mobile safari.

Comment

Totally agree. No reason why stuff should be provided for free and, if there's no charge for viewing, getting money through ads is fine with me, it just should not be totally obtrusive or verging on malware.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X