• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AdBlock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AdBlock

The tech to detect ad blockers and whine and deny access is getting more widespread. Are there any blockers that can't be detected by these very annoying websites?

TIA.

I'd be interested to hear the current state of play from the pros, if any are on here.

I have a hosts file with lots of the dodgy ad servers redirected but some sites detect this approach as an ad blocker.

I suppose the Raspberry Pi Pi-hole option would encounter same, if the site it actively checking if the ad was loaded ok somehow rather than checking if an ad blocker plug in is active.

One day something (cough, crypto micropayments per page view, cough) will come along so the sites don't need to rely on ad money and they'll get less in your face about blocking them. One day.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      I'd be interested to hear the current state of play from the pros, if any are on here.

I have a hosts file with lots of the dodgy ad servers redirected but some sites detect this approach as an ad blocker.

I suppose the Raspberry Pi Pi-hole option would encounter same, if the site it actively checking if the ad was loaded ok somehow rather than checking if an ad blocker plug in is active.

One day something (cough, crypto micropayments per page view, cough) will come along so the sites don't need to rely on ad money and they'll get less in your face about blocking them. One day.
      yes, - this, but in the meantime, - feck 'em

Comment

@betterblocker for iStuff and Macs.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And @agatehq for paying per article (on those news sites that use it).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Run a browser with javascript switched off. Most newsy type websites still work.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks all !

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              @betterblocker for iStuff and Macs.
              That does look good. It means I will have to start using Safari, which on a Mac I suppose I should

Comment

If you are concerned for privacy as well as ad blocking safari is better than Firefox.

Comment

A lot of what I am reading here is incorrect advice. I am a programmer and the Safari ecosystem for Add-Ons and privacy is rubbish. Do not use Safari if you value your privacy.

To test how identifiable your web-browser is, prior to my below instructions, run the test on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's website:

https:// pan optic lick.eff.org

You will likely be 1 in 1.5 to 3 million, meaning you are unique, due to fingerprinting from ad-trackers, google, everything.

Open source software results in no hidden nastiness and very quick fixes for any bugs found.

Your browser should look something like this:

Browser: Firefox (open source, fully audited, updated regularly)
                  Add-ons:

UBlock - OpenSource.
                  Select additional blocking resources, such as opensource lists, including 'Adblocking Warning Removal List' (which will remove those adblock warnings you see for websites which are aware you are blocking adverts), with 'I am an advanced user' ticked, third party scripts and references blocked (in red) by default, make settings permanent. You can add 'social-media tracking' blockers, to ensure google/facebook/twitter are not able to track you the websites you are visiting.

HTTPS Everywhere -
                  attempts to ensure HTTPS, well, everywhere! Every website you visit may have HTTPS available but it isn't always used in link referrals and when browsing the website

NoScript - OpenSource.
                  you can selectively block scripts on websites, enabling temporarily/permanently the domains you trust.

With this combination you are blocking everything and allowing only what you wish. After visiting your favorite websites and setting this up you will find you are not as easily trackable. NoScript and UBlock can both be configured to be give a more user friendly browsing experience if you wish to sacrifice some privacy.

Better still, use TorBrowser, which includes most of these plugins and is hardened by default, for your daily browsing for reading without personal accounts linked directly to your name.

For better anonymity, particularly if you are traveling abroad, use Tails, currently on version 3.5

Comment

Sorry, not convinced by Firefox - Mozilla has taken over 1 billion dollars from Google.

Comment

Working...
                    X