• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moon on a Stick music player

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the Alexa devices all have a 3.5mm aux socket, which you can (and I do) use to connect to your audio setup.

Not audiophile quality but ok for blasting out your party playlists
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      For tagging and organising, I use MusicBrainz Picard (available for Mac and Windows).

I used to use MediaMonkey on PC, and am thinking of trying XLD ( X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X )
      Thanks, Picard seems exactly what I need, once you get used to the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        The fun comes when you start to adjust the settings. Go into options, then Fingerprinting and make sure you have download fpcalc as the fingerprint calculator. Also change the file naming so it saves the files by artist/album
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          The fun comes when you start to adjust the settings. Go into options, then Fingerprinting and make sure you have download fpcalc as the fingerprint calculator. Also change the file naming so it saves the files by artist/album
          Looks cool, - i think i'll investigate that too

Comment

Well, the Alexa devices all have a 3.5mm aux socket, which you can (and I do) use to connect to your audio setup.

Not audiophile quality but ok for blasting out your party playlists
            Eh? Just checked again, and my Alexa (Amazon Echo) does not have a socket. Just a power input jack.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Eh? Just checked again, and my Alexa (Amazon Echo) does not have a socket. Just a power input jack.
              Echo Dot, Echo Plus and Echo (2nd Generation) all have a 3.5mm socket.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hmm. Says it is for connecting straight to external speaker, so it is the echo amp output/speaker out rather than signal out (AUX), and it won't be suitable for connecting to your own amp. Still, interesting info.

Comment

Even better than Bluetooth pairing, in our opinion, is the inclusion of a standard 3.5mm stereo jack on the back of the Echo Dot.

You might not have a premium Bluetooth speaker laying around, but there’s a good chance you’ve got a stereo system of some sort. Now, using the included stereo cable, you can plug your Echo Dot right into any speaker or home stereo system.
                  How-To Geek

https://www.howtogeek.com/248590/wha...-and-echo-dot/

BTW, discovered that the android app for Groove Music enables downloading to device for offline listening ....
                  Last edited by pjclarke; 8 February 2018, 13:31.

Comment

So for now I am using Microsoft Groove, mainly because I like the OneDrive integration. Not the most fully featured player in the world but it does most things reasonably well, (and one thing very, very badly).

Music Player - Groove
                    CD Rip - WMP or Exact Audio Copy
                    Tag/Organise - mp3Tag

I am trialling CloudPlayer on my phone.

Two issues with Groove: it fails to find the artist/album tags a lot of the time, and dumps maybe half my ripped (FLAC) tracks into Unknown Album/Unknown Artist (with length 00:00). This wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could tell Groove the correct artist and album. But you can't! There is no facility to edit metadata within the app. Once it's Unknowned, that seems to be it, which is a pain in the proverbial seeing as how the files themselves are meticulously (some might say OCD) tagged and organised. The 'legacy' Windows Media Player respects the tags, and to really frustrate me, Groove on my laptop recognises more tracks than the exact same app on my desktop.

Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      I have Linux scripts in place to do all the organizational stuff required for that. A central archive in lossless FLAC, and the above copies of it in 256 Mb/s VBR MP3.
                      that's some bitrate....

Comment

Working...
                      X