• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moon on a Stick music player

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do folks use for organising and listening to your digital music collection? My ideal feature list would include:-

Ø Play most music format files, including FLAC
    Ø Rip CDs to a lossless format, get metadata from the cloud and auto-organise into folders based on artist and album
    Ø Import and auto-organise purchased music other than on CD, again using tags. (Like the 'automatically add to Itunes' folder thing)
    Ø Ability to edit tags
    Ø Find and remove dead links and duplicates
    Ø Play music library from anywhere - my library is on Onedrive, want to be able to stream to a laptop , or phone.
    Ø Ability to download from library to devices to listen when offline.
    Ø Playlists, natch.
    Ø Ability to play via Amazon Alexa (nice to have)
    Ø Podcast support
    Ø Free

Historically I used iTunes before I tossed my iPhone so most of my CDs are neatly ripped into folders on OneDrive. More recently I used the free version of Amazon Prime music, but the bstrds have withdrawn the ability to upload your own music.

I am now using Microsoft Groove as a player, but it lacks the CD Ripping function so I use the veteran Media Player for that, and Groove is missing Tag Editing and file/folder organisation features so I'm using Mp3Tag for that. It would be nice to have a single integrated app.

When I say 'music' I really mean audio, including favourite Podcast episodes and bootlegged radio.

Anyone tried MusicBee? I found the interface totally counterintuitive, but it seems pretty powerful..

I guess I could knock up a script to interrogate tags and auto-organise the library, but I'd expect there to be some decent freeware/shareware out there for such an obvious requirement.

TIA
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

One word SPOTIFY, end of.

Comment

For tagging and organising, I use MusicBrainz Picard (available for Mac and Windows).

I used to use MediaMonkey on PC, and am thinking of trying XLD ( X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X )
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        One word SPOTIFY, end of.
        Not free, Not lossless, No CD Rip, No organisation, No tag edit.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          For tagging and organising, I use MusicBrainz Picard (available for Mac and Windows).

I used to use MediaMonkey on PC, and am thinking of trying XLD ( X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X )
          Thankx, will investigate.

Should have mentioned I'm Wintel.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
            What do folks use for organising and listening to your digital music collection? My ideal feature list would include:-

Ø Play most music format files, including FLAC
            Ø Rip CDs to a lossless format, get metadata from the cloud and auto-organise into folders based on artist and album
            Ø Import and auto-organise purchased music other than on CD, again using tags. (Like the 'automatically add to Itunes' folder thing)
            Ø Ability to edit tags
            Ø Find and remove dead links and duplicates
            Ø Play music library from anywhere - my library is on Onedrive, want to be able to stream to a laptop , or phone.
            Ø Ability to download from library to devices to listen when offline.
            Ø Playlists, natch.
            Ø Ability to play via Amazon Alexa (nice to have)
            Ø Podcast support
            Ø Free

Historically I used iTunes before I tossed my iPhone so most of my CDs are neatly ripped into folders on OneDrive. More recently I used the free version of Amazon Prime music, but the bstrds have withdrawn the ability to upload your own music.

I am now using Microsoft Groove as a player, but it lacks the CD Ripping function so I use the veteran Media Player for that, and Groove is missing Tag Editing and file/folder organisation features so I'm using Mp3Tag for that. It would be nice to have a single integrated app.

When I say 'music' I really mean audio, including favourite Podcast episodes and bootlegged radio.

Anyone tried MusicBee? I found the interface totally counterintuitive, but it seems pretty powerful..

I guess I could knock up a script to interrogate tags and auto-organise the library, but I'd expect there to be some decent freeware/shareware out there for such an obvious requirement.

TIA
            iTunes does everything you ask....
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My general strategy is to have copy of my whole collection in several places (car, 2 music players, main hifi, PC and others).

I have Linux scripts in place to do all the organizational stuff required for that. A central archive in lossless FLAC, and the above copies of it in 256 Mb/s VBR MP3.

I use Linux tools for ripping and tagging.

Spotify et al don't appeal, as I still have the "ownership/collection" view of music, and I hate regular payments.

My ideal player would be just a large, mains powered MP3 player, with a large screen. Something like the Brenan but bigger, nicer, and with no CD ripping stuff. Just a thing that plays digital music. They aren't made though. For some reason, the industry doesn't want you to have a full sized MP3/FLAC/whatever player.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                iTunes does everything you ask....
                iTunes does maybe 90%, no FLAC support, no android app (AFAIK).

This is the frustrating thing, needing a portfolio of different apps....

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                  iTunes does maybe 90%, no FLAC support, no android app (AFAIK).

This is the frustrating thing, needing a portfolio of different apps....
                  You never specified Android

And there are quite a few apps out there which will let you sync iTunes to Android, I think I used iSyncr last time I went none fruit based
                  Last edited by SimonMac; 2 February 2018, 17:22.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Alexa would be nice if it:

- could play tunes from a USB stick

- could connect your amplifier.

But it can't.

Comment

Working...
                    X