• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HOW? : 2 Computers, 2 displays using 1 keyboard and mouse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always heard KVMs are error-prone though I don't know why they would be. When I looked, 2-monitor ones were expensive.

You could get creative and have a USB hub with things plugged in, and two USB leads to swap it between. Same for HDMI but this seems a PITA. RDP seems a good call if you're not using one system for gaming.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not that I use the surface much these days (it's the first edition surface pro) but I've got the following set up to switch between a desktop PC + surface pro with multiple monitors:

USB 3.0 hub connected to 2x USB display adapters and a 2 port USB switch (konig brand). I imagine the display adapters may be optional if you can take advantage of the display port output.

The USB switch is connected to a USB 2.0 hub which has the mouse and keyboard attached (other end of switch is attached to main PC).

To swap between the two I just change the inputs with one of the buttons on the monitors and press the button on the USB switch.

I think it cost somewhere between £100 and £150 to accomplish. RDP is no doubt simpler.

Comment

I got the one suggested by wtfh from amazon.

Works great connecting a laptop and Surface pro to use 1 external keyboard an mouse. However forgot to order a mini display port to dvi to connect the Surface to a monitor. happy days

Comment

Working...
        X