• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to buy cables and techy stuff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the past I’ve bought cable off eBay. Someone buys a 100m drum and uses half of it then sells the rest for a few quid. The hardest bit can be crimping it into a plug in the right order.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Amazon clearly sells everything but it is not always the best place to find things, especially if you're not sure what you need.

I'm after some ethernet cables and fittings and would rather buy them somewhere I can phone and ask questions if needed - where would you recommend? Other than Amazon the only places I buy things these days are Screwfix and Laithwaites and neither of them are much use.
      I've used CPC quite a few times. Not sure if you can phone them, but you can email them [email protected]

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Bit off topic but you can get flat ethernet cables that you can just run under the carpet.
      Here you go: Flat Cat5e LSOH Ethernet Patch Lead, 1m Blue - PRO SIGNAL | CPC UK
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Well if they're on Google they must be good.

But PVC Vs UTP how on earth do I know?! I just want a sodding cable

Also did you misspell Ethernet or did they?
        Sorry, i'm sure.
        I just thought they have lots of different lengths of ready made cable.
        I thought you wouldn't want the hassle of doing your own terminators.

And they misspelt it, - they're in surrey, after all ;-)

Comment

Given I want to have wall-boxes can I buy pre-built patch cables then? I figured they would have to be wired in with all the crimping, etc. If a back-box can let me just plug cables in on both sides, perfect
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This looks like what you're after: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rj-ad...sions/7684422/

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Neat, a nice option to consider
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Support British industry

I support local firms whenever possible, I have used these guys a few times, they have produced(yes, hand made) bespoke cables for me and they are decent quality and competitive price - Cables for Computers: SCSI, Fibre Channel & Fibre Optic Cables

I am not related to them in any way, just used them as a customer before.

Comment

you can buy pre terminated cables (yes its worth the extra if you don't know what you are doing or don't
                  have a decent tester) from Lindy or buy from poundland £1 for 5m cat5 + joiner from Maplin or TLC

You can make them but its a faff!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X