• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New amp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Indeed. It's over 5 years old so some market research is valuable.

Bluetooth is going out of fashion though (cos it's crap) so most good kit is based on USB (fibre-optic is generally poor due to timing issues with the protocol, and copper doesn't get the higher bit rates).
    As for Apple Music.... Forget it. For HiFi you need Tidal or Qobuz (I hate the Qobuz interface). I use Tidal

EDIT: Deezer have recently launched a HiFi service that I'll be looking at.
    Thanks. I am not convinced by the supposed higher quality streaming. No doubt that technically there are good reasons why they should sound better but I have to say that in the real world, listening to Tidal on my father's rather expensive Linn streaming system doesn't make me want to instantly swap my cheapo (in comparison) Sonos and Apple music kit. I keep wondering about stuff that might sound better, old habits die hard. But at the present time, wondering about it and listening to my father's Linn/Tidal is as far as I have gone with the thoughts.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

For Apple music I've been using an Apple MFi certified docking station for my iPod Classic, so can get a digital output from the iPod connector. The inbuilt DAC is good enough for headphones too.

I've always preferred separates so can improve/replace one part of the chain as needs change or new tech improves, rather than an all in one amp/hifi unit.

Apple lossless music on the iPod and offloading the DAC to a dedicated unit should be as good as any other digital source of similar quality/price point. Purists are too busy avoiding scratching their vinyl.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        For Apple music I've been using an Apple MFi certified docking station for my iPod Classic, so can get a digital output from the iPod connector. The inbuilt DAC is good enough for headphones too.

I've always preferred separates so can improve/replace one part of the chain as needs change or new tech improves, rather than an all in one amp/hifi unit.

Apple lossless music on the iPod and offloading the DAC to a dedicated unit should be as good as any other digital source of similar quality/price point. Purists are too busy avoiding scratching their vinyl.
        Apple Music service isn't lossless, though. Is it? Thanks. my father streams Apple Music through his Linn Majik CD Player/streamer into a Linn amp and speakers (Linn Kaber, perhaps?). I stream the same through my (in comparison) dirt cheap pair of SONOS 1 speakers and I think the SONOS does just fine actually. It isn't making me rush out to spend thousands on an upgrade even though I do wonder about doing so. Old habits from my Linn/Naim ownership days die hard, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Apple Music service isn't lossless, though. Is it? ...
          No, which is why I don't use streaming music services. Prefer to buy the CDs (new or used) and rip them myself for playback on my own terms.

Though if the bitrate is high enough (e.g. 320kbps) then I can't really notice the difference from the higher quality sources anyway. Probably an age thing. I did abuse my ears somewhat in my teens and twenties.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I won't have iThings in the house.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Neither will I but sadly, I'm in a minority of one. Five of us share my daughter's Apple Music account which makes it a bit of a bargain. Otherwise, I wouldn't be using that either to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Agreed.

In fact the iPod classic DAC was a really good one in it's day.
                Purists have moved on as well though, they'd have you spend thousands on a USB cable
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

One of the best DACs for under £500 now comes with it's streamer as an add-on.
                  Read the reviews of the MoJo and give one a try.

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision....xoCX88QAvD_BwE
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I bought my amp in the early 90s from Richer Sounds. never felt the need to replace it. But now I'd like to be able to cast to it from my phone or other bluetooth device, or play directly to it from any device on my network.

So, any suggestions for a new amp, or a device I can plug into my amp that fulfills the same purpose?

(My children haven't been 12 year olds for years, so there's no point in asking them, and my grandson just isn't old enough).
                    I got a Chromecast Audio and a Cambridge Audio amp. Has digital out if your amp supports it. £30 and if you are on Android casting works well though you ideally need a NAS/Plex for local content, but it sounds you probably have the kit for that already.

Or you could buy a hifi-separate network streamer for a few hundred depending on your taste. Are you an audiophile?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Should one use thorn or steel needles in one's acoustic gramophone?

After all, this may become important following the grid failure due to EMP.

<sing> Always look on the Bright Side of Life</sing>
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 April 2018, 13:08.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X