• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple Watch or Fitbit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Did you get the LTE version?
    If so, just so long as your phone is switched on it doesn't have to be with you at the time you make/receive a call.
    I didnt in the end, the cost benefit to me did not add up. I can understand it for most people but the times I go running etc hardly anyone calls me.

Though i have to admit the it's quite nice answering the phone on your watch, not sure i would do it in public though

Comment

I've got a Garmin vivoactive 3 - loving it, although it was a bit dodgy on tracking my open water swim.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I've got a Garmin vivoactive 3 - loving it, although it was a bit dodgy on tracking my open water swim.
        Did it show you only went 6 feet in to the water and quickly exited using the same route? [emoji12]
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
          That watch is heavy if you are average UK height. The GPS tracks are, at times, questionable when compared to the forerunner series, due to the metal antenna. If you prefer it for swimming, navigation and coordinates it does the job fine, but the UK cost is expensive. The 935 performs the exact same functionality - and better - for a couple of hundred pounds less.
          GPS works fine for me, if it undercounts a bit then you'd just have to run/walk further, good for you!

There is small version of the watch which is smaller.

Is it expensive? Fancy sapphire versions are, but at the end of the day the most important thing is whether you'd actually end up using it, as in - exercising.

Maybe 935 is better, but either way iWatch is tulip when it comes to battery life - where as my Garmin is good for 3 weeks (if not using GPS activities), pretty good feeling to recharge once a week or so when using GPS!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            GPS works fine for me, if it undercounts a bit then you'd just have to run/walk further, good for you!

Is it expensive? Fancy sapphire versions are, but at the end of the day the most important thing is whether you'd actually end up using it, as in - exercising.

Maybe 935 is better, but either way iWatch is tulip when it comes to battery life - where as my Garmin is good for 3 weeks (if not using GPS activities), pretty good feeling to recharge once a week or so when using GPS!

My main issue with half marathons using the fenix 5S and 5 was they kept losing bluetooth connection, which also happened on my road bike, then overestimated the run by 2 miles. At the premium price it just wasn't right for me. The metal antenna seems to cause issues with ant+, bluetooth and GPS. Seems to be dry climate, high static electricity, polyester clothing and other random factors.

A mate just bought the 935 for £385 from wiggle using discounts and special week deal, which I would say is a bargain!

Comment

I have the Fitbit Ionic, GPS for runs (leave phone at home), app on phone to display the route details and de, stats galore, can store music on the watch or sync Deezer playlists. And 4/5 days normal use per charge.

Comment

I am an ex professional athlete. Over the years I have tried Apple, FitBit, and Garmin watches. My sport of choice resulted in Suunto and others being unsuitable and very expensive for the information they log.

You need data to be logged accurately with quality sensors. Garmin watches are, for the most part, rubbish hardware with worse software.

Tractorboy has this sewn up, the Garmin 935 is the watch to choose. It provides the most reliable GPS logging combined with good functionality and android or iphone integration for alerts, calendar entries, or whatever features you plan to use the most. It is the best multisport watch Garmin have produced in their company history. In my cycling and triathlon club this is the watch of choice.

A friend received the fenix 5 through a sponsorship deal and handed it off to me two months ago. It looks incredibly good. The sensors are junk and I laughed at the inaccuracy of the pace data. The metal parts that look good are what ruin the radio signal capability. The 935 is the fenix in a plastic case, which is the reason it operates as the best in the range. Plastic doesn't interfere with GPS, bluetooth, ANT+ and whatever third party equipment you try to pair. I may be retired from sport but the 935 is worth spending your own money on. I am sad to report I rarely get free kit these days!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

It can over read or under read. By 10 to 20% in some circumstances. That is a big deal!

If you are a casual sports user I would question the value of spending £600 plus on a logging watch.

For a training plan, be it triathlon or British Cycling then accurate data is important. This is the reason power data sources in professional cycling are important from a hardware point of view. Some hardware is junk, which means you could end up basing your training on junk. Don't do it. It may seem harmless initially, but after years of data logging you will soon regret those early misrecorded rides due to tulip logging hardware.

Comment

I have a TomTom sports watch and even with their household name in GPS it is sometimes way off in calculating the ascent of a run route. It says a local beach run I occasionally do (when the tide is out) has more ascent than a proper hilly woodland trail I do. It must think I'm running up the cliff edge despite never getting within 20-30 metres of the cliffs in case of falling rocks.

If paying much more than the £150 I did then I'd expect the accuracy to be better as they are getting into pro territory where it matters more.

As it is I'm only in it for the fitness and enjoyment (never been to a gym, it's free outside ) so I laugh at some of the stats it shows when I have a look afterwards (heart rate, cadence, calories burned, ...). I do like to log the runs afterwards out of interest to see progress over months for the same route or distance but don't get caught up in all the PB competitive stuff, spoils the enjoyment factor of just doing my own thing at my own pace.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      I did go for the watch 3 in the end. It's actually a really good piece of kit.

Some of the third party weight lifting apps are a bit of a faff but everything else is spot on. The stats arent too bad and the option to export them is something I will look into.
                      And how is it compared to Fitbit now when you've used both? I've read that the iWatch has better notification and app integration but the fitness aspect is good on both, or actually a bit better on iWatch. To be honest, I was thinking of buying Fitbit or Misfit Phase since they fit perfectly into my budget range. But if Apple's watch is that good I don't mind spending a bit more, what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X