• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone use satellite broadband?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use satellite broadband?

Thinking of buying a semi-remote property that at best has ADSL broadband approx 2Mb/s.

4G doesn't seem like a practical long term solution so have been looking at satellite options.

Anyone here use it regularly as their primary net connection?

My general needs are for VPN connection for home working + streaming (Netflix etc) so need decent data allowance..
    Do what thou wilt

You could dig your own trench for fibre like some village did this week.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Define "remote".

Can you see the satellite belt?

If you're the wrong side of a mountain in a shadow then you're fecked & not in a good way.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Satellite is expensive and very latent. With really slow uploads.
        Stick with 2Mb/s IMO

What’s wrong with 4G though? Get an all you can eat Sim and it’s great.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Stick with 2Mb/s IMO

Woo slow down there buddy. Just putting this out there but perhaps if the OP hacks a satellite and lowers the altitude then obviously the latency will be reduced. This is obvious Chemistry!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Stick with 2Mb/s IMO

Interesting - from everything I'd read I got the impression that 4G @ home wasn't much good for anything other than a temp solution due to the variable speeds because of the way bandwidth is shared with other users of the cell.

If that's not the case (and maybe it isn't in a very rural area with few connections) then I might re-evaluate 4G as an option.

Anybody with direct experience of of using it as a perm home broadband solution?
            Last edited by Dark Black; 10 July 2018, 11:39. Reason: missing esses !
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
              Interesting - from everything I'd read I got the impression that 4G @ home wasn't much good for anything other than a temp solution due to the variable speeds because of the way bandwidth is shared with other users of the cell.

If that's not the case (and maybe it isn't in a very rural area with few connections) then I might re-evaluate 4G as an option.

Anybody with direct experience of of using it a a perm home broadband solution?
              Not exactly what you ask but I have a 4G router from EE that I take with me when staying in places with crap wifi. It's on a shared contract with 60GB per month. It's done exactly what's required and is always available if our Sky Broadband goes norksup!

Never had any issues with regards to performance and in tests at home it's quicker than our Sky setup. Frequently get 80+Mb/s down and 50+Mb/s up with latency ~23msec.

Router has 5 Ethernet connections, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi. All configurable via a browser.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Anybody with direct experience of of using it as a perm home broadband solution?
                Not at home as I live in civilised society

I use it when working a lot as it's usually better than client's tulipty guest WiFi.
                I have a Surface and an iPad both with SIMs and it works very well.
                I use download rather than stream for Netflix. Streaming radio just fine.

I have 20GB a month data package and don't get close to using that, but for home use you'll likely do more.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I used to have an EE mobile wifi device that was paid through the business. It had a 50gb monthly limit and was pretty reliable. Only stopped using it because my mobile now has a 40gb limit and I can tether to it.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I used it years ago - one way sat (download) with ISDN2 uploads. Ran it through my sky dish on one of the spare LNB ports.

Was blinding for downloads but heavily quotad as in you could use your quota in a day then be left with best endeavours throttled throughput but unlimited. Only had it for six month till I got ADSL.

A decent 4G would be much better and offer more quota. I use Plusnet (BT/EE) SIM in a mi-fi when travelling and it’s much better. If you can get 4G or even 3G there are some decent data only bundles out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X